top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I safely buy a laptop 5 days after filing Chapter 7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I safely buy a laptop 5 days after filing Chapter 7?

I filed Tues and last night my laptop stopped working. It's several years old and when I turn it on, nothing happens except the fan comes on and I get a clicking sound from the HDD.

It would probably cost more to fix than replace. Would it look bad if I bought a $600 laptop this weekend. I'm in grad school and really need a computer.
    Filed Chapter 7 on 2/22/11, 341 meeting held 3/30/11, relief of stay on foreclosure 4/12/11, relief of stay on auto 5/17/11, Discharge on 6/6/11!

Originally posted by Clabbergirl View Post
    I filed Tues and last night my laptop stopped working. It's several years old and when I turn it on, nothing happens except the fan comes on and I get a clicking sound from the HDD.

It would probably cost more to fix than replace. Would it look bad if I bought a $600 laptop this weekend. I'm in grad school and really need a computer.
    Did you list the cash for the purchase as asset? If so, there shouldn't be a problem.
    Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
    FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
    FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

You could get a repair estimate and use that to support a new purchase if necessary.
      Jen
      "...and how is it that bankruptcy is considered an "easy" way out by some???"

Comment

You most likely have a bad hard drive which costs $50 if you were to replace it yourself - half an hour at the most if you've never done it - so I'd suggest saving the money unless the old machine was on its way out anyway...

My $0.02 only...

Good luck.
        No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

Have you tried banging on it? You're female, so I know you have. Hey -- sometimes it works. Hope you had everything backed up.

But seriously, it's no problem if you have the cash. You can't borrow money to do it without leave of court, but cash transactions are fine.
          Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X