How much is public?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much is public?

I am considering Chapter 7 and would like to know how much of my personal information is public record? I know that general public can see I filed and received discharge. They can't see how much I owe and to who right? Can other creditors see who my other creditors are in BK? Are they only given information about their particular interests?

Thank you for your quick reply Jeremy. I am even more discourage now than before I must admit. This concerns me for a number of reasons. So very sad. It's bad enough that you have to file in the first place.

Thanks again,
    WorriedNDebt

Comment

Don't be, i felt the same way until i had no choice and just did it and filed. When i looked on pacer and saw my info. i did not feel uneasy at all because the relief of the burden of debt outweighted what people will think, beside all of that, you will be shocked who else is filing too. I can't wat for my 341 meeting, I'm sure there will be people there that i know.

Comment

I can't imagine (other than your other creditors, perhaps?) who would pay to see the reports on Pacer...it would probably cost a few dollars to see your whole petition, even after someone would bother to look it up for 8 cents? I didn't know anything about Pacer until I filed...my guess is that anyone looking for you on Pacer would have been on there themselves at one point!
        Filed 1/31/11 341 3/2/11 Waiting for discharge........

Comment

Please don't be discourage.. deep down everyone of one us feared be "outed" by public notices either by newspaper or the web. I live in tri-county area of a major in city in Michigan - I am Imported by Detroit - and damn proud of it. My local paper has to print the notices.. but I have yet to see my name, they are so far behind by the time they publish I'll be discharged. Just ask yourself - when was the last time a friend or family member said to you.."you'll never guess who I saw in the BK notice section of (insert the name of your local) paper".

Besides which is more embrassing.. a creditor calling your family members (or anyone with your last name) looking for you willing to tell them how much you owe or 25 letters in a column bured on the 9th page of local news section on the last Sunday of the month anywhere 30 to 90 days after you file.

The people I love and care about know what it was I needed to do.. they support me. The rest....well you fill in the blank.
          Filed Pro Se: 11.12.2010 ~ 341: 1.12.2011 ~ Discharged: 3.9.2011 ~ Officially an Asset Case: 3.30.2011 ~ Last Day to File Asset Claim: 6.28.2011 ~ Trustee Final Report: 8.1.2011 ~ Asset Distribution: 8.31.2011 ~ Case Close: 11.15.2011

Comment

With over a million people filing bankruptcy in the US every year, it's doubtful any significant scrutiny will be given to your records. Yes, there's a microscopic blurb in the paper. And yes, documents can be retrieved on PACER. But PACER is probably one of the most user-unfriendly applications ever known to mankind... it's not like your info is easy to find, especially for those not well-versed in PACER's quirks. As far as those creditors go, they're probably used to seeing BKers with other creditors. I mean, most people in bankruptcy have more than one bill to pay.

It's ok. Really. You're not going to make the evening news. We're taught to believe that bankruptcy is some kind of failure and part of the conditioning shames people into silence. You're just making a business decision. Follow what your heart tells you to do (whatever that may be) not what your fears tell you to do. Best of luck to you.
            OK - from now on it's not a "Bankruptcy." It's a "Weight Loss Program." I'm in. Sign me up.

Comment

I am going to have to agree with my Peeps (sorry couldn't help myself they are correct - Pacer - unless someone knows your full name, your ss number or your BK case number they can't find pooh. 25 letters in a column bured in on the 9th page of the local news section on the last Sunday of the month shouldn't stop you from gaining freedom.

Oh and as for your creditors.. they are looking out for number one - without stepping in number two. (name that movie)
              Filed Pro Se: 11.12.2010 ~ 341: 1.12.2011 ~ Discharged: 3.9.2011 ~ Officially an Asset Case: 3.30.2011 ~ Last Day to File Asset Claim: 6.28.2011 ~ Trustee Final Report: 8.1.2011 ~ Asset Distribution: 8.31.2011 ~ Case Close: 11.15.2011

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X