Renting before filing and expenses question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renting before filing and expenses question

I plan to rent a home in our new location in North Carolina. The means test for that area lists $1170 as the rent allowance. If we had our druthers, we would rent a cheap place for $500, but that will cause us to have too much DMI.

So should I spend close to the allowance (every penny will help on my Schedule J). Must I have a one year lease for schedule J? Is month to month okay, assuming I could find one? I hate to be tied into paying this high of rent after the BK is closed, if I don't have to be. Thanks everyone!

Hi SS- I don't think you need a lease. It is a representation of your current/expected budget after bk. Now if you know that once the bk is discharged/closed you are bolting to a much cheaper place for which you have signed a lease then I think you would be liable to say. If you are planning but don't have a place then its like saying well I plan on getting a new job paying a lot more,but you have nothing definite so you don't say what might be. You just say what is. Let's see what others say.

Comment

Originally posted by daylate View Post
      Hi SS- I don't think you need a lease. It is a representation of your current/expected budget after bk. Now if you know that once the bk is discharged/closed you are bolting to a much cheaper place for which you have signed a lease then I think you would be liable to say. If you are planning but don't have a place then its like saying well I plan on getting a new job paying a lot more,but you have nothing definite so you don't say what might be. You just say what is. Let's see what others say.
      Hi daylate, yeah, not planning on having a "secret lease" ready to go, just wondered if I was obligated to have a years lease when I file (since so many things on Schedule J are prorated for a year).

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X