? about 2nd meeting with lawyer tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

? about 2nd meeting with lawyer tomorrow

I'm confused about what's going on with us. We met with the lawyer early Feb. and he had us fill out some paperwork about our income, debts, etc... We turned in our tax returns, IRA information, and all of that stuff.

He called today and said he has our paperwork together told us to do the credit counseling online.

Are we filing tomorrow? We haven't paid him anything yet. I didn't have to go through and list every single item in my house, and stuff like I thought we were going to.

OR, is this just the first step, then we have to do the rest later.

Thanks!
    Filed Ch. 7 on 3/9/11
    341 scheduled 4/18/11
    DISCHARGED 6/20/11

It sounds like you will be filing. He may be filing the basic petition first and then have you complete the additional schedules, if needed and submit them later. That is what our attorney did. Did you submit all of your expenses along with your income?
    Jen
    "...and how is it that bankruptcy is considered an "easy" way out by some???"

Comment

Yes, we did submit all of our income and expenses, and stuff.

Thanks for the response.
      Filed Ch. 7 on 3/9/11
      341 scheduled 4/18/11
      DISCHARGED 6/20/11

Comment

I would have said first step, but maybe not. Seems to me you aren't there yet, especially if you haven't paid him. There is a thread here about a "skeletal petition" that you might want to read. This doesn't sound like something you want to get into . here's the link http://www.bkforum.com/showthread.ph...r-tells-you... Good luck

Comment

I think he will have you file, tomorrow. Did he say anything about when you should complete the bankruptcy education class? I belive you have to complete the first one before you file. So, if he wants you to do it, today. I'd lay bets you are filing tomorrow.
          Jen
          "...and how is it that bankruptcy is considered an "easy" way out by some???"

Comment

Did you get a worksheet of any kind saying what you had to do? I had to fill one out that went through the 'normal' household items and then another sheet for add-ons that weren't on the worksheet. Listed all assets (house goods) with garage sale or thrift store prices. Looked up car value on NADA. Had my taxes done so I could include them. If you haven't gone through this type of worksheet, you have only begun.

You do have to get the pre-filing counseling done and the certificate will last for 180 days, at least here in MN. But he needs the value of your assets before he can file.

Comment

Hi ScaredINMich,

I didn't have to go through and list every single item in my house, and stuff like I thought we were going to. ....you may not have to do this, how detailed this needs to be varies by district and trustee. Michigan is one of those states that lumps all the personal property into one category w/ the nothing over X value up to Y total.

Hang in there, let us know how it went!

Tom in Colo
              Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

We did file today. The last poster is correct, all of our household assets were all lumped together. The ball is rolling!
                Filed Ch. 7 on 3/9/11
                341 scheduled 4/18/11
                DISCHARGED 6/20/11

Comment

That's what were told here in NJ too. What a relief. It would take me forever to itemize everything. Mostly worthless junk, but lots of it --- I actually fantasize about NOT exempting it in the hopes they'd come and take it and save me the trouble of getting rid of it.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X