Money from family/girlfriend/friends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Money from family/girlfriend/friends

This has been a difficult time period financially (duh!). But even without paying the bills for all my unsecured debt, I still need some financial support. Luckily I have found that support within my family, girlfriend, friends, and some paid focus groups. The money I'm talking about is like $50 here, $100 there, etc... My parents have recently sent a larger amount of money to help with rent, the BK filing, etc.. Money from these sources are sproadic and never the same amount. Also there is no agreement or demands to repay.

With that said, my question is how or if to show this money in the BK forms?
    If it is necessary to show, do I claim it as income in all forms asking for income?
    Item #8 or #10 on the Means Test?
    Item #13 on Schedule I?
    Item #2 on Statement of Financial Affairs?
    Add parents, girlfriend on Schedule F??

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice...

What I am about to say I want to make clear that I am not an attorney or anything of the sort, but your financial situation, at least in terms of being helped out here and there by your parents, is much like mine. I, too, received small amounts here and there from family (parents in my case). These amounts were almost never, ever more than $100 here and there and nothing on a regular basis. I just posted a message a few days ago about $400 I got from them in December for a Christmas and birthday gift. According to the posts here AND my attorney, at least in my situation, it's a non-issue, so to speak. If, say, you got a steady stream of income on a regular basis from your family, that would be different, but small amounts here and there, again, are just non-issues.

I'm sure you'll get more responses far more detailed than mine. Heck, some may comlpetely disagree with what I just typed. Nevertheless, that is what I am paying my attorney for, so I'm going to hope he's right!
    Decided on Chapter 7: October 13, 2010; Retained Attorney: October 20, 2010; Filed Chapter 7: February 4, 2011; 341 Meeting: March 23, 2011; Discharged: May 24, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by pikaroth View Post
      What I am about to say I want to make clear that I am not an attorney or anything of the sort, but your financial situation, at least in terms of being helped out here and there by your parents, is much like mine. I, too, received small amounts here and there from family (parents in my case). These amounts were almost never, ever more than $100 here and there and nothing on a regular basis. I just posted a message a few days ago about $400 I got from them in December for a Christmas and birthday gift. According to the posts here AND my attorney, at least in my situation, it's a non-issue, so to speak. If, say, you got a steady stream of income on a regular basis from your family, that would be different, but small amounts here and there, again, are just non-issues.

I'm sure you'll get more responses far more detailed than mine. Heck, some may comlpetely disagree with what I just typed. Nevertheless, that is what I am paying my attorney for, so I'm going to hope he's right!
      Well said pikaroth! Thanks for sharing. It's good to hear a similiar situation and how you are handling it...this is a huge help!

Comment

I'm glad I could help, even if only a little. Having just started this process in October and with my 341 in a little over two weeks away, I am HOPING that I am slowly but surely getting to the point where I can at least provide some words of encouragement to others as others did to me when I first came here. It's a very scary process, and I am still scared, but all of us start somewhere, and before you know it, the light at the end of the tunnel continues to get brighter and brighter.
        Decided on Chapter 7: October 13, 2010; Retained Attorney: October 20, 2010; Filed Chapter 7: February 4, 2011; 341 Meeting: March 23, 2011; Discharged: May 24, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by pikaroth View Post
          I'm glad I could help, even if only a little. Having just started this process in October and with my 341 in a little over two weeks away, I am HOPING that I am slowly but surely getting to the point where I can at least provide some words of encouragement to others as others did to me when I first came here. It's a very scary process, and I am still scared, but all of us start somewhere, and before you know it, the light at the end of the tunnel continues to get brighter and brighter.
          pikaroth, Your little bit of help is alot of help for me I've been scared and have had this decision pounding in my head for a long long while...and will continue to feel scared until I'm standing in that bright light you are referring to. This forum has been Ammmaaaazing! So grateful to have stumbled upon it a few weeks ago. I've noticed so many people still offering their insightful advice months and even years after they received their discharge. It's a testament to the connection this forum has created...and continues to create. As your 341 meeting slowly approaches, I will be officially experiencing the BK Court and filing my papers in person Thursday or Friday this week (if all goes well). All the best with your upcoming 341. Based on the consensus within this forum, it sounds easier to go through than the anticipation.

Comment

I responded to Pikaroth's thread and also didn't think the small amount would be an issue. HOWEVER, your family is helping you to get by, a trustee can, and most likely will, consider it monthly contributions to the household. Sorry...I know this isn't what you want to hear, but it's far better to be prepared going in than to get bit during the process. The good news is that you are probably well under the income and the help from your family won't make a difference. IMO, and not an attorney here, it's much better to disclose it upfront than deal with the can of worms that could open under they eye of the trustee.

Hopefully you'll get some more input from some of the pro-se members.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X