what to tell creditors after filing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what to tell creditors after filing?

I am filing on Monday morning and asked my lawyer said to just tell them you are filing bankruptcy and give them his number. I would love to tell them to stop calling, can I????
    Ok I know I can tell them to stop calling but will they?

Welcome sind...
    sounds like tomorrow is going to be a great day for you.
    With the hundreds of calls i had over a 5 month time frame from putting the stop on paying cc's to when i filed.
    I answered ONE call....shaking in my shoes.....crackling voice....told Am Ex that i had retained attorney and gave them the atty's # and never heard from them again. She did say "good luck "

The best to you.
    filed: 8/10 ...341:10/8/10 ... Discharged & Close: 12/9/10
    "Nothing is easy to the unwilling" Thomas Fuller

Comment

LOL it is a good feeling when the phone stops...
      ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
      Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Some will stop calling and some will continue until you give them a case number.

Comment

I was gonna say "bite me"

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post
            I was gonna say "bite me"

AND ValleYum has the "pound sand" down!!!
            filed: 8/10 ...341:10/8/10 ... Discharged & Close: 12/9/10
            "Nothing is easy to the unwilling" Thomas Fuller

Comment

Talk is cheap. Tell them nothing until you have a case # in hand, and then give them that number.
              All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
              Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Immediately after I had signed the agreement with the attorney (and paid the fee!), I would answer any collection call with, "I have decided to file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy and have retained an attorney - his name & # are ..." Never had a problem with a subsequent call after that. In fact, right after the official filing, ALL calls ended, even for the creditors who had not gotten the word form me.

Comment

Originally posted by ValleYum View Post

LOL it is a good feeling when the phone stops...
                  Dog gone you Valleyum, you stole that one from me. I learned about the pound sand phrase from this board. Yeah, tell them to take a long walk on a short pier, and while they are being eaten by the sharks, remember this message from (insert your name here), BITE ME!

If you weren't filing right away, you can also mail your creditors a cease and desist notice telling them not to call you anymore, but to only write you. It takes them up to 10 days to stop calling, but they will stop for at least a few months. They may call you a few times after you file bk, but then it will stop. You can give them your attorney name and # and that is all you need to do. You can hang up on them and do whatever you want.

Comment

I only had one call me again after I gave them the lawyers name & number. At that time I told the person, "I am recording this call. I am going to give you my lawyers name and number one more time and if you call after that we WILL take you to court." That ended the last of the calls.

You'll be amazed how quiet your house sounds!!! I'm still not used to being able to answer the phone, lol.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X