Safe to get married?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safe to get married?

In a Chapter 7 case, when is it safe to get married without dragging your innocent new spouse into your financial mess?

a.) after filing the petition?
    b.) after the creditor meeting?
    c.) after the discharge notice?

To be totally safe, I'd advise after discharge. First of all just filling is paperwork at that point. The 341 Trustee will ask if anything had changed on your paper work or life. You will have to state it has. I doubt the new spouse would be in jeopardy in any case, but as you asked, after discharge would be the safest. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by qwerty64 View Post
      when is it safe to get married
      So many comments I could make about this, but I will refrain...........

I would wait until discharged or do it when she said I would.
      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

My innocent spouse

I thought my innocent spouse would have been safe. We were married July 2010, filed our income taxes jointly (had a prenup just to play it safe). We received letter in the mail today stating that our refund was applied to a 2005 previous tax debt that my ex is paying in the 13 that I was kicked out of during our divorce.

Comment

As advised by others, wait until discharge. Better safe than sorry would be my strategy!
          Filed CH 7 4/15/11
          341 5/23/11
          DISCHARGED & CLOSED ON 7/27/11

Comment

Ask your attorney if you have one to be safe
            Ch 7 filed 8/15/11 341 9/22/11 Discharge 11/28/11
            The rebuilding begins

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X