Schedule J and Roommate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schedule J and Roommate

Filing out Schedule J (Current Expenses) and realizing just how broke I am. My lease will expire about two months from now - probably before I could get a final discharge. I'm facing a rent increase at lease renewal.

As I fill out Schedule J with today's expenses I am budgeted within $6 of my take home pay. The rent increase will have me spending more money than I take in.

Anyone know how the trustee will react if I take in a roommate at lease renewal? New rent will be $800 monthly. Say will split the rent 50/50. This would lower my expenses and get me off the shoestring budget but would the trustee see me as now having $400 of disposable income for creditors?

Does it even matter AFTER I file my petition?

On the one hand, today's expenses are honest and legit at the time of filing. On the other hand, I don't want my petition thrown out for abuse or converted to Chapter 13. Having a roommate by the time I get to my creditor meeting would change the dynamic of Schedule J.

I think you should wait until after the 341. If it happens before then if asked you will have to say that rent is overstated by 400 (in your example). 400 of extra income could lead to a 13. Having a large negative dmi is not a problem unless you want to reaffirm a vehicle. This is the one part of the whole process that really po's me. This whole I&J thing seems totally wrong. Good luck.

Comment

So if I get a 341 meeting before signing a new lease (and add a roommate) I should be good? Even before final discharge?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X