Too broke to file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gatekeeper View Post
    Just stop paying the credit cards bills, paid the 500 dollars for the attorney intial fee and then pay month around 100 to 200 or something to the lawyer till you owe nothing. I think all attorneys are willing to work with you in making payments to them. Just stop paying the credit cards, and don't answer the telephone when a bill collector calls. What I did, was vonage had a system in place as to where I was able to block calls by adding each bill collector number to the list. Also, have each creditor remove your work number and any other number such as cell phone, to ensure that they don't call you. What I did was I advised each creditor that my phone number had change, but I had gave them a phone number that went to voice mail only that had a message the detail that I am in the process of filing for bankruptcy, please contact my attorney at 585-555-5555, again thanks. So they never had called my house or work and my cell phone at all. They only had my number to the voice mail box, that was setup for all of my creditors. Also during the nine months of not paying my creditors, I had yet been sued bu anyone.
    Hello gatekeeper - I'm somewhat in the same boat, possibly 2 weeks or 2 months!! from filing and I am being sued...but for everyone else - do you know what happened to the creditors you directed to your lawyer's "creditor voicemail?" Mine has the same thing....is it worth it? Do you think it gave creditors the "heads up?" Some of mine are pretty small, some are large, some are very nasty...

Comment

Originally posted by discouraged View Post
      Gatekeeper - Even though it is now past the time they are calling (341 on Friday), how did you set it up so your voice mail would do that message? Was that through vonage?

You should post that in the collections thread. I wasn't aware you could do something like that and would have appreciated it. Couldn't ahve done it with my regular answering machine as I am constantly looking for a job but sure could have used it as a diversion for creditors.
      What I did was purchase a second phone line with vonage. I then use the second line as a dead box for all of my creditors and bill collectors. As for the second line, the voice mail was setup with a auto greeting stating that "Thank You for Calling ---- ---------- at 555-555-5555, please be advise I am in the process of filing for bankruptcy under chapter 7. For further information regarding to my filing for bankruptcy please call my attorney at 555-111-1111, who name is -------- ----------------. Thanks for calling. beep

Comment

Originally posted by IamOld View Post
        Hello gatekeeper - I'm somewhat in the same boat, possibly 2 weeks or 2 months!! from filing and I am being sued...but for everyone else - do you know what happened to the creditors you directed to your lawyer's "creditor voicemail?" Mine has the same thing....is it worth it? Do you think it gave creditors the "heads up?" Some of mine are pretty small, some are large, some are very nasty...
        What I would do is let all of your creditors know that you are planning on filing for bankruptcy, when they call you. Other then that don't call, let them call you, then you explain to them over the phone, about you filing for bankrupcty. Or that just do what I did, call every creditor give them my new phone number that has a auto greeting that states I am in the process of filing for bankruptcy.

As for being sued, you may be able to file a motion with the court in advising them that you are planning on filing fo bankrupcty and ask if they can delay their decision regarding to the suit.

Comment

Originally posted by gatekeeper View Post
          What I would do is let all of your creditors know that you are planning on filing for bankruptcy, when they call you. Other then that don't call, let them call you, then you explain to them over the phone, about you filing for bankrupcty. Or that just do what I did, call every creditor give them my new phone number that has a auto greeting that states I am in the process of filing for bankruptcy.

As for being sued, you may be able to file a motion with the court in advising them that you are planning on filing fo bankrupcty and ask if they can delay their decision regarding to the suit.

Gatekeeper, thanks so much - I find out in about 2 weeks what we're doing - it may be that spouse goes "first" so to speak, as together our unsecured - because of stupid student loans - is more than Ch 13 limit - separately we both are good...so I don't know yet who goes first and under what chapter...so I two weeks I hope and pray to be able to do what you suggest!!!

Comment

Another method of call screening. I used Google voice. I updated all of my creditors with this new number, and screened my calls. So I was able to block creditor calls completely from coming thru and sent them to a specific voice mail message. Also, you can use it for free long distance.

It took me 9 months from the time I stopped making payments to gather the money to pay my atty file. I wasn't sued during that period. One creditor tried to sue me after I filed, and we ended up suing them for violating the bankruptcy.

Comment

thereshope - that's why it's good to plan right! I feel like I'm really screwed because I had a payment plan with EVERYONE except one creditor with whom date 1 in court is in a month...so we gotta hurry up and file!

FUNNY - ONE of my wife's cc's just offered to settle a $2K debt for $1k AND in TWO installments! what do you know....

Comment

Yes, I guess it turns out that you do have to plan due to the high cost of filing for bankruptcy. Some creditors can be Mean and do use illegal tactics and unfortunately bankruptcy starts to look brighter.

Comment

I wound up borrowing cash from my sister to file. She kindly gave it to me and told me that she had filed herself, 8 years prior. I never knew it. I'm so grateful for her compassion towards me and I hope to return the favor one day. The credit cards took 6 months before I even got my first notice that one of them was going to collection. So don't give another cent to the credit cards and save to file! Good luck to you!
                  Chapter 7 filed 10/8/10...341 Meeting 12/6/10....Discharged 2/16/2011....Case Closed! 3/1/2011

Comment

Originally posted by BrokeinMD View Post
                    I wound up borrowing cash from my sister to file. She kindly gave it to me and told me that she had filed herself, 8 years prior. I never knew it. I'm so grateful for her compassion towards me and I hope to return the favor one day. The credit cards took 6 months before I even got my first notice that one of them was going to collection. So don't give another cent to the credit cards and save to file! Good luck to you!
                    Thank you for the words of encouragement! I will not give them a penny more.

Comment

any money sent to anyone who you are going to file on is wasted. credit cards and finance company never called me after i told them i was filing even though i waited 2 more months to file.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X