A tiny 'huzzah'!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A tiny 'huzzah'!

Okay -- initially I was preparing to file pro-se. Then I did two dumb things (filed a lien on my home for the money my mom lent me for the downpayment, which was not done in 2006; got a loan from my mom to get a car because the one my son drives is dying). I mentioned what I had done on the forum and got the begeezers scared out of me! lol So, I decided to use an attorney, and I had my first meeting today.

Nice guy, is charging me $1200 (plus filing fee and class fee) - total of $1550. Less than I was expecting, so that's all to the good! We walked through the means test -- and based on his calculations I should make it, slightly UNDER the median! Something to do with the way it's calculated. Works for me (otherwise, I'd be slightly over).

I am a household of two, though my 22 year old son lives separately since January -- he's a full-time student. Attorney said some might question it, but that he would fight for it, definitely. That's good, I hope.

I talked to him about the lien -- he said because my appraisal came in ~$40K under what I owe, it will not even come into play (whew!). I asked about the car, and he said to title it in my son's name, or my son and mom's names, and it would not be a problem. Means a bit of scrabbling around to get him his own insurance, but definitely doable, especially for just a few months until the bankruptcy is hopefully filed and discharged.

We looked over my schedule I and J (which I had completed prior to meeting). He gave a few suggestions for tweaking the numbers, but felt overall the numbers were good (-1400 dmi).

He seems to think my case will be pretty simple and straight-forward. I am SO relieved. True, it's a pretty high cost for that sense of relief -- but I am perfectly happy being in the passenger's seat. At least I feel like I will understand much of what is going on, having done so much research! I actually was able to pay him today with what was left of my tax refund, which I was thrilled about (I was afraid he would charge $2500+!).

The attorney said it normally takes 30 days from filing to the 341, so we will file the first week of May (which should put the 341 shortly after the school year ends). I will be so glad to have this whole debacle behind me!! The learning curve is always interesting for me, but I'm ready to move on.

I think things are going to work out okay after all. I'm so glad the lien and car loan ended up not being a problem!

An interesting side-note. I mentioned to my attorney about my tax refund and my understanding you can factor it in by dividing by 12, then taking 6 months of that figure. His response? He does NOT include the tax refund!! I was shocked and surprised, but I am thinking that this may just be a peculiarity of my district maybe? He practices in my county, so I will trust that he knows what will fly and what won't. I hope he's right -- it would be really great. Even if he's wrong, my numbers should still work out just fine!

For anyone considering pro se -- I would say go for it. But, if you get unnerved or will worry excessively, find a reasonably priced attorney. It can feel really good to let someone else handle everything! Oh -- and prepare for your meeting. I had pay stubs, bank statements, tax returns, my credit report (showing who I owe and how much), the fill-in means test form, my schedule I and J...I did not use everything, but having it all seemed to make things go more smoothly.

Thanks to all here who have occasionally held my hand or kicked my butt.

Congratulations!! It sounds like you have found a good attorney and that everything is going smoothly.
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

I too am pleased for you. Now did he tell you to change your car to your son's and/or Mother's name? Never do that, but if you are buying a car and have not yet, then you can put it into anyone's name (but yours). Good fortune to you. 'Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Huzzah!!

Relieved and happy for you. I spoke to an atty who suggested I not go down a similar path- similar sitch w/old car, young adult and crappy credit

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
          I too am pleased for you. Now did he tell you to change your car to your son's and/or Mother's name? Never do that, but if you are buying a car and have not yet, then you can put it into anyone's name (but yours). Good fortune to you. 'Hub
          No, he asked who's name the title is in -- and I told him that it is not in anyone's name yet, we have not registered it. That's when he told me to put it in son or son/mom's name. Will do that tomorrow (or, son will!). Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post
            Huzzah!!

Relieved and happy for you. I spoke to an atty who suggested I not go down a similar path- similar sitch w/old car, young adult and crappy credit
            keepsmiling -- what did you decide to do? I'm just glad I waited on the title, and that everything is going to work out. If I had to do it over, I would definitely go through independent financing if I needed a car this close to bankruptcy! Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
              Congratulations!! It sounds like you have found a good attorney and that everything is going smoothly.
              Thanks! I am SO relieved. The attorney is a really nice guy and seemed to appreciate that I understood most of what was going on and had the docs we needed (thanks to this site and the NoLo book!). He is really busy (had two walk-ins, back to back appointments, and a phone call while I was with him) -- I told him it was a sad irony that he is one of the few NOT worried about job security!

Comment

Originally posted by sillywalks View Post
                Thanks! I am SO relieved. The attorney is a really nice guy and seemed to appreciate that I understood most of what was going on and had the docs we needed (thanks to this site and the NoLo book!). He is really busy (had two walk-ins, back to back appointments, and a phone call while I was with him) -- I told him it was a sad irony that he is one of the few NOT worried about job security!
                It is a source of never ending frustration to me that dh was once offered a position in a bk firm and turned it down because, as he said to me. "What will I do when the economy gets better?"

It's almost funny, if you have one of those wacky senses of humor

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post
                  It is a source of never ending frustration to me that dh was once offered a position in a bk firm and turned it down because, as he said to me. "What will I do when the economy gets better?"

It's almost funny, if you have one of those wacky senses of humor
                  ]
                  Maybe the answer should have been -- "Well, then you can shuffle your walker down the hall of the retirement home and eat an extra pudding for dessert to celebrate!" LOL Ah, well -- I do think the job is probably stressful in it's own way. You would always be dealing with people in stressed out, frustrated, and sad situations...as a counselor, I would say it might burn you out and make you cynical pretty quickly (as counseling can, if you are not careful). Hang in there!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X