Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice about car loan, confused...

Hello,
    This is my first time posting after being a lurker for several months.
    A bit about my situation.
    I filed a no-asset ch 7 and my 341 is scheduled for April 26th in MN.
    I bought my car through CarHop in 2009 and the loan is through Universal Acceptance Corporation (the petition lists them as a collection agency, not sure if that matters). The total balance was $7k and I still owe $3400. The car is only worth $2k. I'm current on all my payments and it is set up as an automatic withdrawal from my bank account (it was the only way they would approve me for the loan).

I had asked my lawyer about reaffirming the car loan and she said we only do it if the loan company requests it. The petition says that I intend to reaffirm the vehicle. It also lists my balance on the loan and then the unsecured portion (balance minus value of the car). Not sure what that part means.
    I then found some posts on here today about ride-through's. Does anyone have any experience with UAC?
    My boyfriend and I will be moving to Las Vegas within the next 2-3 months and it would be nice to be able to have a "fresh start" with a different car. If I'm able to get rid of my car somehow I will probably take over the payments on my boyfriend's car and he will buy a new one.
    I guess I'm just confused as to what my best option will be. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You can list your intention is to reaffirm, people change their minds. Like your Attorney said, only do it if the creditor asks for it and you want the car.
    Sounds like it might be smart to stall them, and then tell them when to pick it up when you guys are on your way out of town.

Good luck in Vegas.
    No Asset 7 closed 11/09

Comment

My lawyer suggested I list on the forms that I plan to reaffirm my vehicle loan also, and I'm with Wells Fargo. He also said he would not support a request to reaffirm because my income is too low to support it. So it was similar to what Chowder said - say you're reaffirming and then change your mind if need be. My lawyer also said that most companies (but seldom Ford or GMC loans) will take a ride through where you pay ON TIME and keep the car. That seems like the safest option - that way if the transmission dies 6 months later, you can give them the keys without penalty.
      Filed Chapter 7 on 2/22/11, 341 meeting held 3/30/11, relief of stay on foreclosure 4/12/11, relief of stay on auto 5/17/11, Discharge on 6/6/11!

Comment

Yeah, that's probably what I'm going to end up doing. Just better for me in the long run. Thank you for the quick reply
        Also, does anyone know how long I have to give the car back? Do I have to do it before the discharge? And if I was to get a car loan do I have to wait till after the 341 or the discharge to apply for one? Boyfriend is thinking of selling his car cause we could make about $4k on it so that would help us with moving expenses. Then we would just both get new cars.
        We're also thinking of having a garage sale (I have a lot of "stuff") I can't remember if I have to wait till before or after the discharge before I can sell anything.

Sorry for so many questions

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X