My story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My story

Lived in another state in a very HCOL area -- job relocated us to a LCOL out of state. In the HCOL area we owned a home with a reasonable mortgage and high monthly HOA fee ($300/mo). We both had great jobs in recession-proof industries (ha!), so when we moved we bought a home in the LCOL area with an almost identical mortgage and no HOA. Decided to rent out the HCOL home at a loss (rent didn't cover mortgage + HOA), but it was fine and we could still put money in savings and retirement. Put the house on the market to sell at the same time we were renting and assumed it would be gone in a couple of years.

Fast forward 3 years later and I lost my job. Our income was literally cut in half. It was fine because we had a tenant, we tightened our belts, cut spending, and continued paying our bills. A few months later, our tenant decided not to renew. We searched for a new one and had a string of awful tenants and circumstances over the next year that had us making major repairs and maxing our credit cards and emptying our emergency fund. During that time one of us also developed a major medical problem that we did not have insurance coverage for. We kept on trucking for another year eventually also emptying both of our retirement accounts to try to keep up with both of the mortgages, credit cards and medical bills. We were too stupid and proud to seek counsel or even Google...we had no idea that we could protect our retirement...we were just trying to pay our bills.

That leads us to current day. We filed Ch7, we have a small amount of assets that were not exempt, but otherwise hoping for a smooth discharge. We decided to let both homes go (as we may potentially be relocated again in the next year, and don't want to sell in this market) and the foreclosure date for our current home is in mid-May. We have a rental lined up already, they never ran our credit, just asked for personal references and we didn't disclose anything about our situation.

It was hard for us to file...but it has been such a relief. We literally did everything we could not to get in this position and we ended up here anyway. I just wish we had known that we could have kept our retirement accounts, but hopefully we can build them up again somewhat quickly.

Welcome! You are not alone.

Comment

DITTO!! My story is VERY similar. Wish we had filed sooner but I haven't felt this relieved and able to sleep at night in a VERY long time!
      04/01/10 - Hit rock bottom and knew we were going to have to file for bankruptcy and surrender our home. 12/14/10 - Filed Chapter 7, 02/09/11 - 341 Hearing, 04/14/11 -

Comment

So glad to know that others have been there and felt similar relief. In the short-term, we are having a greal deal of remorse about leaving our home here...the house we brought our first baby home to, but we also know that we would be leaving at some point any way due to my spouse's job. Doesn't make it any less sad though.

Thanks for the support!

Comment

Understand the house feeling completely. The day I moved into this house, I swore this was it - was NEVER moving again. Probably the main reason we fought this for so long - I was determined I wasn't losing my house. However, we're almost $100K upside down on our house and close to $50K upside down on our rental house. Told my husband the other day that I'm just looking at it as we sold the properties and made enough to cover the balance and pay off all our other bills. Sounds a whole lot better in my mind!
          04/01/10 - Hit rock bottom and knew we were going to have to file for bankruptcy and surrender our home. 12/14/10 - Filed Chapter 7, 02/09/11 - 341 Hearing, 04/14/11 -

Comment

Well, I was lucky enough to have stopped short of dipping into my 401k. That was probably because I made the mistake one time of cashing out a former 401k account when I switched jobs. I realized, soon thereafter, doing that was a huge mistake but we did burn several, several thousand in emergency funds trying to stay afloat because it was what "responsible" people did. I could have probably protected that savings with exemptions too. DOH!

One of the biggest motivating factors so far for me though has been the horrible shape of our economy and where I personally think we're headed. I think I would be much more stressed if I were still trying to make ends meet and watch housing prices drop and inflation taking off. We're still waiting on our 341 but I already feel much more relieved that I'm about to drop so much debt that I've been anchored to for so long.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X