Bizzare creditor behavior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bizzare creditor behavior

Something funky going on but let me explain.

I retained a bankruptcy attorney in December and I'm still pending bankruptcy since I'm still making regular payments to the attorney to pay my retainer (i was diagnosed with cancer last year and the majority of my money has been directed towards not dying). That being said i regularly get calls from creditors about once a month from some of them asking about my bankruptcy. I tell them they have to speak with my attorney etc. Most are understanding and generally take the lawyer information without a fuss. However, three months ago I received a phone call from a man that was clearly not American, if I guessed it would be Indian, calling me on my cell and worst of all at work. (I've already had to have my lawyer send cease and desist letters to some of my creditors becuase I cannot receive phone calls at work.) Anyway, I provided him with my attorney's information and he really seemed disinterested in talking to me once I told him I had an attorney.

Well another month passed and I received another phone call from an "investigator" who was investigating me for "fraud" on behalf of one of my creditors. I explained to him there unwillingness to take the attorney information in phone calls, emails and fax, they always claimed that I never told them about my attorney. He then laughed off the situation and told me not to worry that he'd close my case and provide the company with my attorney information. But he did tell me to be careful with phone calls I'd receive from people with an Indian accent calling and that they are being investigated for fraud. Very nice guy.

Well today they called again. They called my cellphone and didn’t answer and they called my work again. I called back and was told that they were they office of Attorney James Parker, and they told me there was a "lawsuit pending against my social security number" I may not be a lawyer but that just does not sound right, and they told me I needed a lawyer. I told them I had one and provided them with his information. Once again he seemed very disinterested and hung on me once he got #. Are these phone calls fakes? If so has anyone dealt with them before? And how do I stop the calls at least to my work?

Also, I called them back after I was hung up on and I asked for a fax number and the person I talked to seemed very mad that I was asking for one and after much schmoozing one my part was able to get it. They are unable to provide a clear picture of who they are, who hired them, and what they want. They seem only interested in pestering me. Can my lawyer send them a cease and desist since they are claiming to be one of my creditors? I really don’t know what to do in this situation.

This is a scam - enter the number in google or I like the 800 notes website and you will see pages of consumers who received the same type of calls.
    Filed Pro Se: 11.12.2010 ~ 341: 1.12.2011 ~ Discharged: 3.9.2011 ~ Officially an Asset Case: 3.30.2011 ~ Last Day to File Asset Claim: 6.28.2011 ~ Trustee Final Report: 8.1.2011 ~ Asset Distribution: 8.31.2011 ~ Case Close: 11.15.2011

Comment

Exactly. Look them up online, that's what I do with every single number that calls my cell. I don't answer calls from numbers I don't know. And no one has my work number. To the best of my knowledge, no one can sue your social security number, that seems a bit off. Give the information to your attorney and have him or her contact them.
      Chapter 7 Filed: 04/21/2011, 341 Meeting: 05/31/2011, Report of No Distrubution: 06/02/2011, Discharged: 08/03/2011, Closed: 08/10/11

Comment

That's what I thought. Just wanted to run it by a few people thanks!

Comment

They are going to keep calling until you have a bk number. They will lie about being something else to get paid. Don't listen and stop answering the phone.

Comment

Isn't it amazing how they use "our phone" (that we pay for) for their collection efforts?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesboy View Post
              Isn't it amazing how they use "our phone" (that we pay for) for their collection efforts?
              Right you are - iamsamantha though is being scammed by scam artists based in Pakistan - those she should IGNORE and NEVER EVER talk to.

Comment

Pakistan scam artists? Good Lord.

LOL.

After reading this forum for the past month. I think after my bankruptcy is complete I'm reverting back to circa 1820...no cell phone, no home phone, no credit cards, cash only, and I wouldn't mind riding in horse drawn buggy....LOL...there's always somebody trying to take advantage of someone somewhere. Though I would miss the internet....
                Chapter 7 Filed: 04/21/2011, 341 Meeting: 05/31/2011, Report of No Distrubution: 06/02/2011, Discharged: 08/03/2011, Closed: 08/10/11

Comment

Isn't it against the "rules" for them to call cells? an atty I spoke to said you can collect for these violations. Talk to your attorney ASAP, might be a good way to make a coupla bucks.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

I will tell you one thing, after a while I just started saying words to them that my mother would not have liked.
                    Take $10 billion from the government and then sue me...nice

Comment

I don't care if they call me. I'm used to the harassing phone calls at this point. My BK wont go through until June but it's the fact that they call me at work. They call the front desk, instead of my office, so the message has to go through a bunch of people. And they always say a financial matter call, or a pending legal action call, it's humiliating and they are trying to scare me. All they are doing is pissing me off though.

Comment

Originally posted by iamsamantha View Post
                        I don't care if they call me. I'm used to the harassing phone calls at this point. My BK wont go through until June but it's the fact that they call me at work. They call the front desk, instead of my office, so the message has to go through a bunch of people. And they always say a financial matter call, or a pending legal action call, it's humiliating and they are trying to scare me. All they are doing is pissing me off though.
                        Iamsamantha - I think you may be called by scam artists if they have heavy Pakistani accents, these guys are scammers. Meanwhile, if you want, you could tell you colleauges that you've been the victim of identity theft, which IF these are the Pakistani scammers, you have been.

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post
                          Isn't it against the "rules" for them to call cells? an atty I spoke to said you can collect for these violations. Talk to your attorney ASAP, might be a good way to make a coupla bucks.
                          I don't think it is, especially if it's a contact number that you provided them.

Personally, I think the OP is quite lucky to have an attorney that will accept phone calls from creditors before the retainer is paid. Even luckier is creditors are accepting the explanation of an attorney with out filing.
                          Chapter 7 filed December 11, 2009, 341 Meeting held on January 7, 2010
                          Deadline to File a Complaint: March 8, 2010

Discharged and Closed March 11, 2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X