Potential New Employment-When or Can I/Should I Even Consider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential New Employment-When or Can I/Should I Even Consider

I have a possible new job approaching with a dramatic increase of income. The job would be in another state. Right now, it is not an issue. My question is, if I am officially offered the job, can I even accept it before discharge? Should I wait till after the 341 and then accept it? Not sure how to approach it and I'd hate to turn down the opportunity. Thankfully, things are moving slow on the job (it's project based work) so I have some time. Regardless, I'm filing for chapter 7.
    Chapter 7 Filed: 04/21/2011, 341 Meeting: 05/31/2011, Report of No Distrubution: 06/02/2011, Discharged: 08/03/2011, Closed: 08/10/11

I believe if you do not have a firm offer in hand on the day you file you are okay. if you get one the next day you may have a problem especially in the eyes of the US Trustee and the judge. It would seem best to not receive the offer until after your 341. The most logical place a new job would impact you would be under the totality of circumstances section of 707(b)3 I think. It would behoove you to understand this whole section and discuss with your attorney.

Here's a link to the code: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/us...7----000-.html

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by daylate View Post
      I believe if you do not have a firm offer in hand on the day you file you are okay. if you get one the next day you may have a problem especially in the eyes of the US Trustee and the judge. It would seem best to not receive the offer until after your 341. The most logical place a new job would impact you would be under the totality of circumstances section of 707(b)3 I think. It would behoove you to understand this whole section and discuss with your attorney.

Here's a link to the code: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/us...7----000-.html

Good luck
      Thank you daylate! I will certainly read through the information and consult with my attorney. I'm probably going to hold off until discharge to be on the safe side, I would hate to mess anything up. I certainly do not have a solid offer in hand. We've (my project team) have been waiting for four months now (hence my delayed filing) and the new project really wants me, they can wait a little while longer, some of the people are personal friends of mine and I'm sure if I explained my situation they would hold the job, though there's no guarantees. Just a risk I have to take.
      Chapter 7 Filed: 04/21/2011, 341 Meeting: 05/31/2011, Report of No Distrubution: 06/02/2011, Discharged: 08/03/2011, Closed: 08/10/11

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X