Chapter 7 and IRS/State back taxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapter 7 and IRS/State back taxes

I had years 2007 & 2009 back taxes from the IRS included in my paper, and one that was not from the State of California, but I did call them and they tagged the account.
    So my question, is how soon after a discharge and closed case will I have to pay?? Will they send me new bills?

Sort of depends. Strictly speaking, since the debts are not dischargeable, you should be proactive and set up a payment plan with each taxing authority right after discharge.

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
      Sort of depends. Strictly speaking, since the debts are not dischargeable, you should be proactive and set up a payment plan with each taxing authority right after discharge.
      That is what I did. I had a payment plan but was notified by mail NOT to pay taxes at that time. Also my online account was closed. As soon as I was discharged I got a bill for the whole thing. I then simply called and reset up my payment account and have been paying since. It was simple and the IRS were actually nice about it all. 'Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Unless my math or understanding is off wouldn't the 2007 Fed taxes be dis-chargeable if the return was filed by 4/15/2008?

Comment

Originally posted by gmk View Post
          Unless my math or understanding is off wouldn't the 2007 Fed taxes be dis-chargeable if the return was filed by 4/15/2008?
          You got a point there. Three years beyond that year. I almost had it but for a couple months. Again my lawyer never told us. I found out here of course. 'Hub
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

It depends on when the BK was filed, if the BK is "already" filed, then non-dischargeable (the 3 years expires 4/15/2011, or 10/15/2011 if an extension was filed).

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
              That is what I did. I had a payment plan but was notified by mail NOT to pay taxes at that time. Also my online account was closed. As soon as I was discharged I got a bill for the whole thing. I then simply called and reset up my payment account and have been paying since. It was simple and the IRS were actually nice about it all. 'Hub
              Yes, so far IRS has been reasonable to deal with...in other words, they will "know" that a payment plan stopped because of bk not because you stopped paying, right?

Comment

Thanks, for the info. It was filled 2/17/2011; I could have waited another 60days, but I was in the process of being sued by a Lawyer by 3/12/2011 for $16,000+, and noting but threating Collection letters!!! And Charge-OFFs coming
                That means I would have to wait a summer, ETA-Discharge around Sept./Oct. 2011....I am 29 days from discharge today.
                Thanks, I will wait for the order and then work with the IRS.

Comment

Originally posted by IamOld View Post
                  Yes, so far IRS has been reasonable to deal with...in other words, they will "know" that a payment plan stopped because of bk not because you stopped paying, right?
                  Well you will get the nasty form letter with a demand to pay. Don't take it personal as one hand does not know what the other is doing. Call the number on the form letter and set up your account. you can pay online or by m.o.. 'Hub

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                    Well you will get the nasty form letter with a demand to pay. Don't take it personal as one hand does not know what the other is doing. Call the number on the form letter and set up your account. you can pay online or by m.o.. 'Hub
                    Thanks!!!!!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X