New job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New job

Hi all. I'm new here and am really glad I stumbled across this site as it is keeping me sane. We filed our chapter 7 today. Without going into too much detail, due to lack of much time right now, here's my question.

My husband has been self-employed in the construction industry fo the past 12 years and just has not worked in almost 6 months and there's nothing coming up. There is just no one building new houses right now. Anyway, that led us to have to file because we have to make cuts somewhere. He has been offered a new job that pays less than what he was making self-employed but it will be steady work until the construction industry picks back up and he can go back to that at some point in the future. The start date the company is giving him is June 3 and our 341 is June 1. How, if at all is the new job going to affect our bankruptcy?

I know that one of the questions, the trustee will probably ask is if anything has changed and as of that date, it won't have changed but it WILL two days later and I'm not risking not telling the trustee about it but we won't have any proof of what his income will be until at least 2 weeks after the 341. Anyone else have any experience with this? Also, the plan is for this to be TEMPORARY. He has assets exempted as tools of the trade. Not a whole lot but he needs to keep them in order to avoid having to repurchase. Do you think that will be a problem?

Any insight would be great. Of course we have an attorney and we will go over this prior to the 341 BUT I'd like to sleep for the next couple of weeks. I just can't help but worry about some things....probably the usual....will the trustee decide we have assets? Will the $700 that was put on credit cards for groceries in the past 90 days (but not since we retained our attorney) affect anything? You know...the usual. Thanks!

Hi jennz1999:

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on the new job, but as far as how to answer the question "Has anything changed?" I would answer "No", and that would be truthful, because of the June 1 date, nothing will have changed. God forbid, but your husband's new company could belly-up on June 2, and there the two of you are, with no job/income other than what you declared the date of your filing.

We had a similar situation. We were asked if we were expecting an inheritance within 180 days? We answered "No." Now, 'Hub's younger brother had been given only six months to live, and we knew that 'Hub was in the will. However, as of the date of filing, Brother had lived two-fold past the projected death date, and was doing well for an infirm Vietnam Veteran. So that justified our answer of "No." That was 2007.

As of this writing, Brother has lived WELL past the projected death date, and in the next month will celebrate his first anniversary with his new wife. He still has his good days and bad, and may be 'called' at any minute, but who of us are not subject to that 'call'?

Good luck to you!
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Angelina, can I properly take an exemption for tools of trade if I'm unemployed or is that just categorically off the table since no "trade" exits while I'm unemployed? My historical work has been that of banker and lawyer. I assumed I'd be able to take my suits, dress shirts, law books, and computer as tools of trade. Your thoughts?

Comment

Not Angelina, but I'll say you can on the books and computer as a tool of trade-I'm not sure the suits,dress shirts,etc fly but they would most likely be valued very low anyway as clothing and would not be wanted by the trustee imo.

Comment

Thanks, day.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X