Filing Joint Chapter 7 in about two weeks, questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filing Joint Chapter 7 in about two weeks, questions

Will try to keep this short We're filing Chapter 7 in about two weeks, after going through a year and 1/2 of financial hell. Here's our background:

My husband lost his high paying job in September, 2009. After an entire year of searching for a new job, he finally was offered a position which paid less than half of his previous salaries. I work as an independent contractor, and make about $36,000 in straight commission per year before taxes and expenses, with no set payment schedule (which leaves us with... not much). I have no 401K and nothing in savings.

While my husband was laid off, we completely tapped his 401k just to stay on top of the bills and the mortgage, there is nothing left. We managed to pay all bills/mortgage until July of 2010, at which time we saw no way to keep up, and missed our first mortgage payment (continued to pay the credit card bills and all others). In Sept 2010 we received a forebearance from the mortgage company to pay just $500 a month until January, 2011. We just made it.

We met with an excellent bankruptcy attorney in December, 2010 after realizing there was no way we could get out from under this debt, and no way we could continue to pay the mortgage. Mortgage is in husbands name only, deed too. We knew we were headed toward foreclosure. It was decided that my husband would file Chapter 7, to hopefully discharge his CC debts.

We continued to pay my cc bills and one personal loan payment, had not missed one payment, with the thought that we would keep my credit spotless, it was a struggle but we somehow managed.

In December, after meeting with the attorney, we decided that keeping a roof over our family's head was our main concern. We simply could NOT lose the house as we would have nowhere else to go, and I would not qualify for any smaller mortgage on my own (we tried). We were approved for the federal loan modification through our mortgage company, which reduced our mortgage by $600 per month. OK, we could make this payment, IF we didn't have CC bills. The decision had to be made to stop paying his CC bills in order to have a home to live in. Mine are paid up to date as of now. Mortgage is now up to date and he just signed the final paperwork for the modification, which becomes official this month.

In January, we gave back a car, which was solely in my husbands name, explaining to the bank that we could no longer make the payment. They auctioned it, with a remaining balance due of $1800, which they are now threatening to sue us for.

We have virtually no assets except an old boat which was appraised independently for $4500. No equity in the house whatsoever, and nothing else of value. My husband has one car in his name, it's worth approx what he owes on it, no equity there either. We want to keep the old boat, it is currently the only source of enjoyment in our foreseeable future, even though it may be next year before we can actually use it again.

Here's where it gets a little complicated, and where I have questions, because I'm thrown for a loop:

At our last meeting with the attorney, we went through our entire household income vs. expenses, honestly, and with a fine tooth comb. After taking a very good look at things, the attorney asked point blank "I don't understand why you're not filing a joint bankruptcy case, you clearly don't make enough to live on after paying your (meaning mine) CC bills and the personal loan.". He's right. It's a daily struggle for us, and we continue to scramble to pay the bills, only by the grace of God have we managed to hang on still. I told him it was because we were trying to keep my credit spotless (current score about 780+). To which he said WHY, and I had no good answer. I don't need spotless credit, and it won't stay that way for long anyway because we cannot continue to stay on top of it. If we need something in the future we will pay CASH for it, or not have it.

OK, so in two weeks we are filing a joint case. But up until now I had NO intention of filing, and have used my CC cards for expenses to the tune of about $5000 since October (car repairs, tires, groceries, household goods, a trip for my husband which was required by work for training, general living expenses, clothing for my growing kids, etc..). I've also made payments on this card, and am up to date. With my CC payment and loan payment included in the monthly expenses, we clearly pass the "means" test.

So I'm freaking out just a little bit. Husband hasn't used CC cards since October 2010, and also hasn't made any payments since Dec 2010. But I HAVE, and frankly, I'm not certain what this will mean. The attorney said that most likely they won't discharge all of my debt and we will be responsible for some portion of it.

Will the Trustee understand that I wasn't planning on filing until we actually sat down and realized that we couldn't continue to live on what we make and still make these payments? We've been in "band aid" mode for about a year now, just scrambling to pay these bills and keep my credit score high.

I feel like my husband had a solid chap 7 case, and had been working toward filing for months. Now I'm concerned that because I'm filing too, I don't know what this will mean for us. I clearly ran up more debt these past 6 months, and we paid all of MY cc bills but not his, and I'm sure the trustee won't like that.

We thought about waiting to file for a few months, but the stress of this is really getting to both of us. Plus, we don't want to get sued/garnished for the returned car. I would prefer to go ahead and file in two weeks. Any thoughts on that?

Any advice or info you could share would be appreciated. I'm really worried about the 341 meeting and want to feel that I'm not rushing into this blind. However, I do believe that even if my husband were the only one to file now, unless our financial situation changed drastically (don't see that happening), that I would most likely have to file this year as well. We simply cannot continue to stay on top of these bills any longer, time is up. We may as well file jointly now, even though the trustee will clearly take issue with my past 6 month credit history. Right???

So much for keeping this short. Sorry. Thanks

Welcome to the forum! Worse case scenario is what your lawyer told you; you will be responsible for any charges made on your credit card. That being said, there are times when it is "overlooked" depending on if it was for necessities. Go through the forum and search, you will find many that were/are in your situation.

I think the best thing is for you both to file given you've had to use credit to do necessary repairs/maintenance, etc., too much outgoing and not enough incoming .

As to the boat - it really depends on your trustee; can you exempt it at all? many trustee's will take luxury items regardless - then there are others that weigh out the options, so it really does depend.

Comment

Hi, Thank You. VERY glad I found this forum, so much great info here.

The attorney said that the boat could be exempt because we have no other assets. No equity in the house or car and nothing else of value, so this would fall under our exemptions.

You're absolutely right, too much outgoing and not enough incoming. It gives you a sense that everything is "manageable" so long as you can make those minimum CC payments, but clearly, it's caught up to us despite our best intentions to pay it down. Can't ever pay it down if you can barely make the minimum payments.

Comment

Oops, one more pretty important thing I forgot to mention. We ammended our 2009 tax return with our new tax accountant, because my husband did it all wrong and we ended up paying close to $4500 in taxes (ouch). If the ammendment goes through (should know in about 4 weeks), we will be due a federal refund of $4500. I'm assuming that the trustee will expect this $$? Would we be allowed to pay bills with it such as the mortgage and car payment?

Comment

the trustee will most likely want the tax return. You also can't use your loan and cc payments in your means test calculations.

Comment

If I were you, I'd seriously look at waiting to file until you get your refund and then spend it on mortgage and car payment-these being secured debts they aren't subject to the 600 in 3 month rule that non-secured is. Chances are you can put off the bank for the car loan but even if they do sue and get a judgment you can get rid of it in bk. I understand the stress part but $4500 is a lot of money to give up when you don't have to and being liable for the cc debt you incurred during the past three months will make your bk less of a fresh start than you could have if you wait. Hopefully you don't have anything against alcohol and a drink or two can help keep the stress away. :-) I would definitely discuss your options with your attorney but it seems to me waiting could be your best option. Good luck.

Comment

I think the OP can file using Federal bankruptcy exemptions as NY allows the debtor to choose.

If she chooses federal exemptions, she should easily be able to exempt the boat and the tax refund with the her "wild-card"*.

*Federal exemptions offer a homestead exemption of $21,625 (doubled if you file joint with spouse). Presuming you have little or no equity to protect in your home, you can use the unused portion of the federal homestead exemption up to $10,825 (doubled if you file joint with spouse) as your "wild-card".

I was confused about your mentioning that the loan and credit card payments helping you 'pass' the means test. They don't count as expenses for your means test or for your Schedule J (expenses).

Make sure to check with your attorney about all things BK since they know your district, judges and trustees!

Good luck and welcome!!
              ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
              Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Good point ValleYum- I've got to start looking at the state before giving my opinion

Comment

Thanks everyone. It was my own confusion about my CC debts and passing the means test. We clearly pass the means test without those payments. I will email the attorney about the $4500 tax return, combined with the $4500 value of the boat, and exempting both. Thanks again.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X