Anyone renting an apartment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone renting an apartment?

We were just discharged 2 weeks ago and that's great.

Our next big hurdle is what to do with the house. We didn't reaffirm and we plan on paying and staying for about 2 years. We're just about at the break even point right now, so we may have a little equity by then.

Whether we stay or walk away, we'd like to move somewhere south, probably florida, and try to rent an apartment. We won't necessarily need a house.

Anyone know if we'll be able to rent from any of the major apartment complexes by then or will we still have to look at private owners?

Thanks.
    Stopped charging 6-1-10 - Filed 1-25-11 - 341 2-24-11 - Discharged 4-26-11 - Closed 4-29-11
    Any opinion I give is strictly that! I am not a lawyer.

I am moving in the next month and a half after having just received a foreclosure notice (which took the bank over a year to put together and serve me). It has been over a year since I filed and almost a year since the discharge. My case was closed last July. I found an apartment the next day and signed the lease paperwork yesterday. The apartment is in a house that is divided into two apartments and the owner does not live in either one.

Some places will have a policy on a set amount of time passing after a BK some won't. You aren't going to know until you ask. It is also going to depend on your credit rating. Mine, while not good, was high enough that I had no problem getting the apartment.

When I was in your shoes, while the worry was in the back of my mind, I didn't plan on moving out until I got served so that I could live rent free and save money. It would have been nice if it had lasted a little longer, but that's life. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it right now. You have time. Get your finances in order, save money and make a plan for when you will start looking. Which will mean that you need to learn how long the foreclosure will take once you are served with an action, if you are in a judicial state.

Comment

when i tried with some major rental companies several told me i had to wait a year after the discharge for them to allow me to have a lease which was their policy. so there are some that do it with a bankruptcy on a record.

Comment

From what I have read here it all depends. Lots of the big management companies seem not to be very sympathetic but I'm guessing if its been 2 years you shouldn't have much problem. The other thing that seems to work is renting from a private owner.

Comment

This is just what I logged in to ask. My 341 meeting is tomarrow so if everthing goes good and it should I will be looking at discharge around mid July. Our youngest son will have graduated H.S. and going off to the Army, following in his older brothers foot steps. My wife and I are thinking that would be the time to down size and move in to an apparment.We now rent a house from a privote party, have never been late with our rent through all of our problems, rent came first. I have not checked with any of the bigger managed complexes, and I don't know how my credit score will be. I was hopping that rent payment histrory would help, didn' know if there were set guide lines or if anyone else has had any experance.

Comment

If you're going to sell the house keep copies of your payments for a history to show whoever you will rent from.
            If you're not going to pay on time then nevermind.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X