top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am worried about new job information required!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am worried about new job information required!

As some of you know, my husband and I traveled to our new state, NC, last week for job and attorney interviews. Well, he had 3 job interviews and all three said they would like to hire him, but none right away. Now the one with the longest wait time (6 months to a year), best pay, and most desired, has offered him a part time position, to go to full time as soon as possible. Which is great, we have military retirement and this will keep out income lower for BK.

We are so excited by all of this, and he starts in June. The company sent us paperwork to fill out (they are a small business, maybe 20 employees), one of which is for an investigative consumer report. We have nothing to hide other than our financial picture. It said they may or may not do it now, or sometime in the future. It would include a credit check. What should we do? Should we assume they will do it, and maybe get ahead of it by telling the employer now? Or wait and see what happens? At this point we are behind on all mortgages and ccs by 5 months. Should we say we intend to file for bk? I am kind of terrified to get a house rented then lose the job because they wait until a month after he is hired to do the check, and decide to fire him. Help!

It is always easier to decide for others so here goes. I think that an open, honest, in person reply (or in your case probably a phone call if you're back in Ohio) before filling out the form would be the way to go. To me, if someone came forward like that and explained the circumstances I'd be a lot more apt to overlook than if it just pops up on a report I get from some outside agency. Good luck. If the company rescinds their offer then chances are they were not the right fit anyway.

Another angle to play if they say whoa, is "look, you offered part time for now, so no big risk to you. I know i can do this job and with my the circumstances that forced my bk behind me, going forward I won't have financial issues."

Comment

Originally posted by daylate View Post
      It is always easier to decide for others so here goes. I think that an open, honest, in person reply (or in your case probably a phone call if you're back in Ohio) before filling out the form would be the way to go. To me, if someone came forward like that and explained the circumstances I'd be a lot more apt to overlook than if it just pops up on a report I get from some outside agency. Good luck. If the company rescinds their offer then chances are they were not the right fit anyway.

Another angle to play if they say whoa, is "look, you offered part time for now, so no big risk to you. I know i can do this job and with my the circumstances that forced my bk behind me, going forward I won't have financial issues."
      Thanks, Daylate, that's what I felt like we should do ... much better to explain how it all happened than just let them get a bad report with no explanation. His current boss knows we are having difficulties, but not that we intend to file bk. His current work has had collection calls. I think the thing we have going for us is that the new employer offered the job, tho he hadn't planned on hiring for awhile, because the other places were going to hire. He wanted to lock him up, lol. My husband is one of those guys that can do just about anything, and he brings a wide range of skills to the job.

Comment

Strawberry, exactly - and since you're moving to NC from Ohio, there are a lot of people in financial trouble - I had to do this myself a few months ago, and I said to new employer, look, etc etc happened, my credit is in not very good shape...pause...see what they say...and go on there - my only comment would be to start slowly and not just blurt everything out at once...maybe the other said will say, no worries, we understand, no credit check anyway...BUT IF they do one, it is indeed better to get it out now than later....

BEST OF GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!
        Originally posted by StrawberrySu View Post
        Thanks, Daylate, that's what I felt like we should do ... much better to explain how it all happened than just let them get a bad report with no explanation. His current boss knows we are having difficulties, but not that we intend to file bk. His current work has had collection calls. I think the thing we have going for us is that the new employer offered the job, tho he hadn't planned on hiring for awhile, because the other places were going to hire. He wanted to lock him up, lol. My husband is one of those guys that can do just about anything, and he brings a wide range of skills to the job.

Comment

Thanks Iamold, I think you and Daylate are giving me great advice. It seems it would be better to just touch on the subject, give the guy a heads up, maybe it will be okay. We have some time before we need to move, so if it is going to be a problem, we should know before then.

Comment

Right - start the "speech" off slowly and see how it starts going :-) - I don't know if it makes me or anyone else feel better, but God knows we're not alone!!!!!

BEST OF GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

Originally posted by StrawberrySu View Post
            Thanks Iamold, I think you and Daylate are giving me great advice. It seems it would be better to just touch on the subject, give the guy a heads up, maybe it will be okay. We have some time before we need to move, so if it is going to be a problem, we should know before then.

Comment

Update .. we bit the bullet and let husband's new boss know about our financial situation before they did the background investigation .... he said it shouldn't be a problem!!!!!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X