what are the dangers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what are the dangers

of paying back debts discharged in a bk 7?
    Filed chapter 7 on 9/17 341 on 10/20
    Chapter 7 Trustee's Report of No Distribution on 10/21
    Discharged and Case Closed on 12/21/2010

No dangers really...I suppose the obvious question is why?

If it is to friends and family, I can see that, but paying back regular credit cards, why (and practically difficult to do as no account exists anymore for which payments receive credit)

Comment

Originally posted by scorpion35 View Post
      of paying back debts discharged in a bk 7?
      Nothing as far as I know. Your Discharge paperwork will have language in it, to the effect of: "you may pay back any debt you wish to, even though it has been discharged."

Good wishes go with you~~~
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

From what I read - I agree. None. As a matter of fact there are parts of the BK I ve read that specifically say, "nothing in this section will prevent a debt repayment" (or words to that effect).

In essence, those that "stay and pay" on mortgages etc are paying back a discharged debt.

But I completely agree with HHM. Unsecured credit cards? Why. I am suffering the consequences of the BK filing....unless some very unique situation, Im going to receive the advantages.

Comment

Danger of chronic Thin Wallet Syndrome.
          There are two secrets for success in life:
          1.) Never tell everything you know.

Comment

I see HHM got in ahead of me.

I had some medical debt that I would really liked to have paid back, because the service providers did me very well when I had my broken arm and knee. I would have liked to work out some kind of pay back situation.

But while we were still in BK, this medical provider decided to petition the BK Court in our case to have their claim prioritized above that of anyone else, including the IRS. The trustee knocked them down a couple of times.

Then when we were Discharged, this creditor still tried to go after us. We sent several C & D letters with ccs to the judge and trustee. Then when the debt was sold to a CA. we had the same situation. We gave the same response as above.

Now, had the medical services office worked with us, they would have been paid at least a little. Instead, because they were 'hard nosed', they lost completely.

Tuff noogies!!!
            "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Debee beat me to it, one thing you'd suffer is one less dollar in your pocket, lol!
              Filed Ch 7. Jan 14th 2011. 341 Feb. 24th 2011. DISCHARGED April 26th 2011. Closed May 10th, 2011. Huge weight off our shoulders! Scores as of 5/14/11 : TU-639, EQ-642, EXP-602

Comment

u guys are probably right.makes no sense to pay back debt that u no longer are obligated to pay.
                what was i thinking?
                Filed chapter 7 on 9/17 341 on 10/20
                Chapter 7 Trustee's Report of No Distribution on 10/21
                Discharged and Case Closed on 12/21/2010

Comment

Originally posted by scorpion35 View Post
                  u guys are probably right.makes no sense to pay back debt that u no longer are obligated to pay.
                  what was i thinking?
                  Everyone above was right. You are not obligated to pay any debt that is discharged. With that being said however, I do have one discharged debt that I feel morally obligated to pay, therefore have made arrangements and am paying it.

I don't have to pay it, I have chosen to pay it.
                  All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                  Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

The only real danger that comes to mind is that debts can be reported for 7 years after the date of last activity, so theoretically, if you paid off an old collection account, it could appear more recent and hurt your credit score.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X