HELP - Retained Attorney a week ago and now he has the petition to sign!! -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP - Retained Attorney a week ago and now he has the petition to sign!! -

I haven't even given him all the documents that he asked for at our first meeting!!!

I thought we had to give a list of creditors etc besides other info before this gets filed.

I am scared and confused. Can someone walk me though the steps - sorry but this has thrown me for a loop!!!

Did you fill out a list of creditors and take it to him on the first meeting? Here in Washington state most Bankruptcy attorneys pull your credit report at the first meeting. CALL HIM ASAP!

Comment

You should be given the 'draft' petition to look over before you sign. Make note of the missing or incorrect info and give it back to your attorney. The corrections and/or additions will be made prior to actual filing. You can then ask for the filed petition for your records.
      Chapter 7 Filed: 04/21/2011... 341 Meeting: 06/01/2011... Report of No Distribution: 06/01/11... Discharged & Closed: 08/04/2011

Comment

Yes, you should go through everything before you file. Perhaps at your next meeting he is expecting you to bring all the documents with you so he can input the information and review it together, I'm not sure.

I can only tell you how my attorney meetings went, everyone has a different experience. I can say though...being scared and confused is completely normal, it's an intimidating process.

1. Once I met with the attorney that I decided to hire, he gave me a packet to fill out. The packet contained everything that was going into the petition. (I know this now, I did not know this then.

2. After I completed the paperwork, I had another meeting with my attorney. I brought with me, his completed worksheets and copies of every thing....bank statements, tax returns, pay stubs, credit card statements, tax bills, phone bills etc...

3. I paid my attorney in installments.

4. After my 3rd installment payment, my attorney had completed the paperwork and brought me in to review everything. We went through every single document in the petition. That evening, my attorney submitted my case filing online.

That's the basics of the filing itself. You are responsible for getting the attorney everything and he is responsible for making sure it is entered, then you verify for accuracy. So, if he doesnt have everything, do not authorize your case to be submitted, it's as simple as that.

After your case is filed, you'll get a notice from the court and probably your attorney about your 341 meeting....and then the fun begins.

Welcome to the forum!
        Chapter 7 Filed: 04/21/2011, 341 Meeting: 05/31/2011, Report of No Distrubution: 06/02/2011, Discharged: 08/03/2011, Closed: 08/10/11

Comment

I haven't done any of that yet - he wanted me to get the credit reports, bank statements - I need to finish up back tax returns and such. He is paid in full. I called right away and left a message with his secretary. I still need to get a appraisal of the house - the home values here are all over the map and we do have equity. I'm losing my mind - I thought there was more time involved - trying to stay in the house as long as possible since we have no place to go when this is over -

Thank you for replying everyone - I havne't gotten any paperwork to fill out -just asking for tax returns. 6 months bank statements etc. Everything I have seen here says you need to fill out all kinds of schedules etc. list personal property, blah blah blah.

Comment

Originally posted by PANSYFACE View Post
            I haven't done any of that yet - he wanted me to get the credit reports, bank statements - I need to finish up back tax returns and such. He is paid in full. I called right away and left a message with his secretary. I still need to get a appraisal of the house - the home values here are all over the map and we do have equity. I'm losing my mind - I thought there was more time involved - trying to stay in the house as long as possible since we have no place to go when this is over -

Thank you for replying everyone - I havne't gotten any paperwork to fill out -just asking for tax returns. 6 months bank statements etc. Everything I have seen here says you need to fill out all kinds of schedules etc. list personal property, blah blah blah.
            Take a deep breath....relax....he can't submit the petition without your consent and without you reviewing it....the attorney will fill out the schedules etc from your paperwork you provide...since you have provided him with nothing...I imagine he has done that....
            Chapter 7 Filed: 04/21/2011, 341 Meeting: 05/31/2011, Report of No Distrubution: 06/02/2011, Discharged: 08/03/2011, Closed: 08/10/11

Comment

If he files the barebones petition, he then has 15 days to supply the info, like creditors, etc...so he may just be trying to get it filed, and then file the "meat" within 15 days...but like everyone said, call him!!!!

Originally posted by PANSYFACE View Post

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X