top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purchases between filing and meeting of creditors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purchases between filing and meeting of creditors?

This may be a pretty silly question.. I filed about 3 weeks ago.. and I'm just waiting out the time until my 341 meeting which is July 5th. If I understood right, they only look at purchases and things I did with my bank account BEFORE filing, right? I know my attorney sent me a list of things to bring to the court date and they didn't ask for any more bank statements.. he just told me to bring the last 2 paystubs and ID and SS Card..why do they need the paystubs at that point anyway?

But anyway, back to my question... I was wondering if it would be a bad idea for me to use my bank account to make a purchase on amazon? It's only like a $29 purchase... but I'm trying to keep this account low anyway. I haven't done anything crazy with it... the most I've done is pay for bills, groceries and gas in the cars.. and we've gone out to eat a couple of times.. but I'm keeping it low until I can switch over to my husbands new account he created. I just want to make sure this wouldn't be a problem...

Thanks!!

If you were going to purchase a $500 item, I might say wait, but since we're talking about $29, I highly doubt it would ever cause a problem. If it were me, I would go ahead and place the order.

SG

Comment

lol.. thanks.. I'm just being over cautious. I don't think they'll even look at anything past the day I filed as long as I wasn't making any crazy purchases like you said.. for over $500 or something.

Comment

I'm guessing they ask for the pay stubs to see if you got a big raise or a new job to help verify your Schedules I & J and the resulting DMI (or lack thereof)

Comment

Originally posted by daylate View Post
          I'm guessing they ask for the pay stubs to see if you got a big raise or a new job to help verify your Schedules I & J and the resulting DMI (or lack thereof)
          Exactly! One of the queations you'll likely be asked is, have there been any changes since you filed. One way to check the answer is to look at your most recent paystubs.
          Nobody is worried about $29.

Comment

I agree with the rest. Once you file, whatever you earn is yours to do with as you will. After filing, some people have their fridges conk out, or their water heaters, and end up with hefty Home Depot charges. Life is expensive! I would not worry at all. The only time I've ever heard of the powers that be looking into post-bk spending activity is when the debtor was committing major fraud. Enjoy your purchase.
            There are two secrets for success in life:
            1.) Never tell everything you know.

Comment

I agree with everyone above. Nobody is going to care about any small purchases you make. Enjoy.
              You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

I would not worry about it. Honestly, according to my attorney, my trustee never once looked at the bank statements, I could not believe it! Actually, I paid my lawyer 1100.00 from my checking account the week before I filed. Now you would think they would say.......hey wait a minute......if she can take her money 1100.00 from her bank account in one shot, why the BK?

Don't sweat it and don't be afraid to go out to eat or make small purchases. It will probably never be looked at, especially if you are under median income.
                Filed CH 7 4/15/11
                341 5/23/11
                DISCHARGED & CLOSED ON 7/27/11

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X