Preferential Questions and more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preferential Questions and more

Hi, I'm new to the forum and my husband and I will be seeing our attorney next week to discuss our options-chapter 7, most likely. If this belongs somewhere else, please let me know.

Here are a few things that are bothering me.

Background-we are both self employed-run an internet/ebay type business. Our debt is credit card and some medical bills. I'm an authorized user on two credit cards, one is a friend, one is my mom. Over the last year (and before), I made payments to those cards either directly (business/personal checking acct) or through a check to the person. Those would be considered insider, correct? I am unsure of the total amounts, but I'd rather have my mom not be bothered (ie: if we file, get a letter demanding she pay back money/sued) so do trustees generally let you work out a way to pay it back to them if you are honest and upfront? I read online that they sometimes do that, although a lot of info is unclear.
    Also, my husband just sold our car within the last two weeks. We paid the title loan of 2900 and were left with about 2400. We are using this to move (moving in with family), paying for food, getting our business set up at the new residence, and other things-prescriptions, what not. Is paying off a title loan considered preferential? We had to pay it off to sell the car, to release the title, and we needed the cash to do important things like pay electricity/food/etc.
    Now, I want to file soon, we just have to get together profit/loss sheets etc for the lawyer. But, before that, I want to be prepared. My husband already has two judgements against him from Discover and Amex for 13k and 16k. At least Discover has filed wage garnishment (which they haven't gotten yet because he's unemployed atm). I'm concerned about our bank account being levied, so I really want to nip this in the bud. On my credit cards, I haven't been sued and actually settled with a couple last year. Our original plan was to work as much as possible, live with relatives, save money, then settle with the creditors, one at a time. However, Discover/Amex have forced my hand since there's the worry of bank accts being levied and judgements don't help his job prospects as after you get two, an employer can fire you.

We definitely fit the bill for Ch 7, in fact, I don't think our income atm would qualify us for ch. 13, but I don't want to get in trouble with anyone and my elderly mom does not need to have money paid to her credit card-that I charged up-taken back. She's on a fixed income, in not great health, and this would be devastating.
    Add in to the fact that the credit card purchases were three quarters for business purchases and we are an LLC, although I doubt that does much. I'm in AZ btw.
    I love this site, been reading as much as I can, and I just want to be prepared so we can get back on track. If anyone has advice or things I shouldn't miss (like questions to ask the lawyer) I really appreciate it!

BUMP: I know my question was complex and we are definitely going to address it with an attorney. However, I would love to hear some personal stories or advice, even if all my questions can't be answered. As of now, the only thing in our way is that I paid family/friends money over the last year-several thousand dollars. We haven't used our credit cards for much, if at all within the last year. There have been no crazy charges. So, if anyone knows anything about preferential treatment and/or anything specific I should ask my attorney, please post it here.

Comment

Welcome - you will find advice here and support!!
      REgarding your mom's card...you are allowed to contribute to the support of elderly parents...

Quick answer - PLEASE consult several GOOD bk atty's as soon as possible.

For whatever it's worth my hand too was forced by the kind people at HSBC and their law firm.

Comment

This is only my opinion, but if you have documentation that shows you were paying off charges you made on someone else's credit card, I don't see those as being preferential payments. But again just my opinion-common sense has been known to be a non-starter in bk. No worry about your car sale. We sold a car and used proceeds for expenses.

Comment

Hi, Welcome, there is a lot of good information here. My attorney let me choose between a 7 and a 13. Though my income is a little lower than some 13's I decided to do that to keep my small business and my "classic car." My state last year only had an automobile exemption of $700. Not being a mechanic, I didn't think I could even have anything that actually ran for that price! :-)

Well, good luck. And as IamOld said, consult with several good BK attorneys as fast as you can.

Comment

You mentioned you will be seeing your attorney. May I ask if you interviewed more than one? Just curious as you will want to be sure you have complete faith in your attorney. Be sure to discuss all the issues you posted here so there will be no surprises.
            Filed CH 7 4/15/11
            341 5/23/11
            DISCHARGED & CLOSED ON 7/27/11

Comment

Hey Guys, thanks for all the advice! I spaced out on this thread as we are moving out and in with our relatives so things have been crazy. Appreciate all the advice given. I only talked to one attorney. I contacted another, but never heard back-not a good sign. They are super close to where we are living-walkable-and have great reviews online. If I feel that he's not doing his part though, I'm not afraid to switch. The mom's credit card-well it wasn't like I was paying a loan, maybe showing the money went directly to charges (and the terrible interest) will help. It gets complicated more too because we've always deducted our credit card interest from our taxes-that includes interest that we never paid. In that, let's say we paid off some cards during the year, but not others, we deducted all of the interest charged. It seems like that could be a potential tax issue, if the debt is forgiven, but then again, we might be deemed judgment proof, so who knows? The CPA we use is, ironically, in the same office complex as our bk atty, so I know we could run things by him if necessary.

Our appt is in two weeks. I will be sure to update as maybe once we have a few questions answered, I can offer some help to those facing a similar situation. My DH has been close to getting a job-ironically enough again-in banking, and I'm just praying the judgments don't hurt his chances. It's amazing, you want to do right, work hard, but you may not get a job you are otherwise qualified for b/c of debt! I know it's banking, but still!

Comment

BEST of good luck to your husband!!!!!

Comment

IME Amex moves fast once they get a judgment, so keep your eyes open there. They got a judgment against me and within a couple of weeks I had a copy of the paperwork they sent Bank of America, asking about any accounts I had there or any money B of A owed me. My filing of course nipped that process in the bud, but it was a bit nerve-wracking until I actually got filed!

I got a notice from Amex's law firm a couple Saturdays ago, and I was kind of jumping up and down hoping they were violating the automatic stay. Alas, I opened it and it was a copy of more paperwork sent to B of A saying: "Hey, you know that stuff we asked you about? Never mind, and if you are holding any money, give it back." Darn it LOL
                  Filed 5/31/11 341 & Report of No Distribution 7/28/11 Discharged & Closed!! 9/29/11
                  "What I won't accept or buy any longer is that my credit score defines who I am. Screw that."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X