Ch 7 Discharged 2 years ago and hospital says we still owe $

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ch 7 Discharged 2 years ago and hospital says we still owe $

Our Ch. 7 bankruptcy was discharged 2 years ago (Aug 2009) however the hospital I delivered my twins in has been fighting with my old insurance over a charge from Nov 2008. This has finally been resolved but now they are saying we owe them $36. A piddly amount really but my feelings are why should they get money when no one else did. Basically our situation was we filed a Ch. 7 in late 2007, that was converted to a Ch 13 in early 2008. Our twins were born Nov of 2008 (the hospital charge is for newborn treatment). The Ch. 13 was converted to a Ch 7 in April of 2009 due to both my husband and I losing our jobs (yes that was a rough year!). From what I understood - when we converted to a Ch. 7 in 2009 it was basically starting over and any new debts could be included (and were). I have sent this hospital all of the court documents showing this information and they keep insisting that the treatment dates occurred after the filing date so we are responsible for the payment. I would call my old attorney's office but they really drove us crazy and they weren't much help when we were in the process so I am hoping someone on here might shed some light on our situation. Do we owe this money or not? If not, I'll call the lawyers office and see if they will handle it because I'm tired of getting bills and phone calls. If we owe it then I will gladly pay it and be done with it. Thanks in advance!

Your statement is all over the road here... From what I gather, you originally filed a chapter 13, not a chapter 7. Then you converted the 13 into a 7?

Your filing date is the date your originally filed. Any debt incurred after that date - you still owe.

If you wanted for more debt to be included, you should have let the 13 dismiss and then file a chapter 7.
    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Sorry about that. I'm frustrated. We originally filed a Chapter 7. They converted that to a Ch. 13 because our attorney didn't put things in correctly. We agreed to the 13 and made payments on that. When we lost our jobs we converted to a Ch 7. It is confusing. The attorney asked us to include any new debts when we converted so I was under the impression that the medical charges prior to the conversion would be included.

Comment

I still don't think that new debt after the original filing date could have been included, but perhaps someone else can show us where that could have happened.
        All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
        Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Pay it. $36 isn't worth the trouble. I hear you loud and clear on the principle of the matter. You will spend hours on the phone and sending certified copies of your BK discharge to all corners of the US of A battling this.

Just my advice.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X