Using CC After Court Hearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using CC After Court Hearing

Hello. My CH 7 BK went to court in late June so I'm just waiting on the discharge. I have several CC that had a -0- bal on them when I filed so they weren't included in the filing. My lawyer said I cant use any credit off these cards until my case is discharged. What are the chances that the court will find out if I actually use one of them? Thanks for any help.

Dude, don't use the cards, man. Try your utmost best not to use the cards. Chances are those accounts are closed anyway. Did you check? Courts will find out from the creditors eventually, and whatever debt you rack up after your 341, they'll come after you for it, since you didn't include it in the matrix.
    Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Comment

I actually intend to pay those charges off. Yes, the accounts are still open.

Comment

(Gritting teeth). It's a toughie. That's what I said about the debt I discharged. LOL. I guess we make our own choices. It's up to you. I suppose maybe using the credit cards will be your only source of "income" so to speak. Don't mean to pry, but are you unemployed? I'd use ccs as a last resort. I'm no pro on this subject. I'm just a simple person who's so happy to not have any credit card bills. It's all debit card for me - vacations, hotels, car rentals, everything!
        Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Comment

I would NOT use any of those cards. Your lawyer already advised you not to use them, why would you take a chance on messing up your discharge?????

And by the way, one of mine is still open but remember, it sometimes takes them up to 3 mos. to put on your credit report. I would not want to try to use it and be quite embarrassed when told it was not valid. Just my opinon.
          Filed CH 7 4/15/11
          341 5/23/11
          DISCHARGED & CLOSED ON 7/27/11

Comment

I'm with sunshinepa. You really shouldn't.

Comment

I am also going to 'second' and 'third' the above responders. You should consider that all of your credit cards are absolutely gone and no longer exist, even with the 'zero' balance. Many of the cards are owned by parent companies that own other credit services, and the chances are that one or more of them are parents of cards you BK'd against, and those parents will then go and close any other account you may have, that they own.

Now is the time to start learning to live on 'cash only'. If you don't have the money for it, then you must wait until you have the money saved.

My very best wishes, and welcome to the Forum.
              "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by texasex1981 View Post
                What are the chances that the court will find out if I actually use one of them?
                Bad idea......

listen to your lawyer

Comment

Originally posted by texasex1981 View Post
                  What are the chances that the court will find out if I actually use one of them?
                  Do you REALLY want to find out the answer to that question? It's pretty dangerous. Sort of like asking, "If I douse myself with gasoline and strike a match, what are the chances I'll catch on fire?" Maybe it won't happen, but do you really want to take the risk?

Unless you have an emergency, DO NOT USE YOUR CCS. When I say emergency I mean, your child just swallowed rat poison and the only doctor you can find only takes cash and charge cards. Not an emergency as in, Best Buy is having a sale on their 55" LED TVs.

The process of filing for bankruptcy is learning new methods of self-control. Consider this your first test. Good luck!

PS Have you had your 341 yet? And, what do you want to use the credit card for?

Comment

lol dont wanna sound like a broken record in this thread, but I will wait for the update
                    Ch 7 filed 8/15/11 341 9/22/11 Discharge 11/28/11
                    The rebuilding begins

Comment

I don't want to sound like a "broken record" either, but last year shortly before I filed, I mistakenly used a credit card for a small purchase. Most likely I was told not to, but I'm slightly hard of hearing, and probably just missed this.

Then I had to sign something for my lawyer and he asked if I'd stopped using credit cards. So, I told him I hadn't, but just was using one that I always pay back...Well he nearly went ballistic. Now reading some of these posts here, I can understand why.

And why jeopardize everything for something probably not that important. No, I agree with some of the other posters here, the faster you can start living on a cash basis the better.

Good luck.

Comment

I should think that you now have your answer.....
                        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

A friend of ours who used their CC during their BK had their case thrown out completely. I can't remember the exact wording of the charge, but it was darn serious. They had to wait either 3 or 6 months and refile as well as pay attorney fees again!!!! I certainly would not risk it.
                          Discharged Ch 7 9/10/08
                          Livin' the GOOD life

Comment

I'll guarantee this... there are very few people in this world with more power than a Bankruptcy Trustee, except for a Bankruptcy Judge. Your attorney makes his living by understanding that one simple premise. Trust your attorney, or you will stand a very real chance at finding out how you look in striped pajamas.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X