top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will A/C Repairs help at all to qualify for Ch. 7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will A/C Repairs help at all to qualify for Ch. 7?

Well get home today and its warmer than normal in the house (I have it set to 85 while we're at work and set to cool to 80 about an hour before one of us gets home) so sure enough, its blowing warm air (its 87 in the house as I type ) I have a buddies company coming out tomorrow to check it, hopefully its just low on freon like it was last year, but I don't hear the compressor clicking on and off so it may be more severe than that Anyway, if we end up having to put a good amount of $$ into getting it working, will any of that work on our means test or schedule J? I've done some google searches and it seems typical that A/C repairs usually run around $1500-2500. If it will help I might go ahead and do it, if it won't help, I'll tell my buddy to patch it up the best he can and pray we can get away with a bill in the $500-800 range. Just curious! Thanks!
    Chapter 7 Filed 12/7/11
    341 Hearing 1/12/12
    Discharged 3/23/12!

You could increase your Home Maintenance budget (#3) on your Schedule J with the $2500 "expensed" out over the 60 months of a hypothetical Chapter 13 plan (remember what you are trying to prove that you have no DMI for that hypothetical plan). This would increase your monthly expenses on Schedule J by ~$41.00. Make sure to get an estimate so you can back up your higher Home Maintenance numbers.

Same deal if you need a roof or major appliance soon - get an estimate and "expense" the amount over 60 months.

These expenses typically do not help you on the Means Test as it goes by Local Standards for Line 20A. You may could try to use Line 21 to address major repairs like HVAC or a roof but chances are it could bring extra scrutiny to your filing. (from here: http://www.justice.gov/ust/eo/bapcpa...ne_by_line.pdf referencing Line 21)

As always, your mileage may vary.

Good luck!
    ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
    Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Originally posted by DirkDiggler View Post
      I've done some google searches and it seems typical that A/C repairs usually run around $1500-2500.
      Wow. If you have "repairs" in this price range, you're getting the........
      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Well, it was a hot night in the house (87 when we went to bed, 84 when we woke up in the morning) and I decided to try the A/C to see if it worked, and it DID! Been working fine since LOL Bullet dodged (for now)
        Chapter 7 Filed 12/7/11
        341 Hearing 1/12/12
        Discharged 3/23/12!

Comment

That's great news!
          Filed CH 7 4/15/11
          341 5/23/11
          DISCHARGED & CLOSED ON 7/27/11

Comment

Originally posted by DirkDiggler View Post
            Well, it was a hot night in the house (87 when we went to bed, 84 when we woke up in the morning) and I decided to try the A/C to see if it worked, and it DID! Been working fine since LOL Bullet dodged (for now)
            Have you tried cleaning it? You can purchase a spray that cleans the coils, then you just spray it off with the water hose - works wonders I tell ya!

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora View Post
              Have you tried cleaning it? You can purchase a spray that cleans the coils, then you just spray it off with the water hose - works wonders I tell ya!
              pandora........does it work for maintenance? thanks.
              Filed CH 7 4/15/11
              341 5/23/11

Comment

Originally posted by sunshinepa View Post
                pandora........does it work for maintenance? thanks.
                well - what do you consider maintenance? To me.. keeping an AC unit clean is maintenance; if the coils are dirty (leaves, dog hair, pollen, etc) then the AC will not cool and you take the chance of burning it up. For less than $10 you can avoid that by using the spray cleaner. Just let it sit for recommended timeframe, then spray off (of course, your AC must be off during this period).

Go here: http://www.inspectapedia.com/aircond...l_Cleaning.htm

Hope it helps!

Comment

know what else will work if you cant find the AC cleaner? MaGuiar's Rim cleaner Works great!

ETA: here is what you'd be looking for

Comment

Thanks. I do keep the big stuff away and hose once in awhile but will try the spray as mine is 25 years old. Still working but I know it will need updating soon! Thanks again!
                    Filed CH 7 4/15/11
                    341 5/23/11

Comment

you are very welcome Yep, use the spray, you'll be shocked at how dirty the AC actually is. Also remember to get your ducts cleaned every few years (like every 2) as that can contribute to failing AC / heating units. You can clean them yourself but its better to have a professional with an enclosed HEPA system do it. We had ours done at our last house and it cost around $200/$300 (1100 sq.ft home), but the difference was MASSIVE - especially since we all have seasonal allergies and son has asthma.

Comment

Never had the ducts done but since it's not that expensive, may get done. I have about the same footage so I will look into it. I do get furnace cleaned in my service contract and have been told I should replace. That one will wait till next fall when I can collect that SS pension......LOL, if it's still there!
                        Filed CH 7 4/15/11
                        341 5/23/11

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora View Post

I actually did that shut the breaker, opened it up and sprayed from the inside out to clean the coils. I didn't buy any cleaner though, but its working now
                          Chapter 7 Filed 12/7/11
                          341 Hearing 1/12/12
                          Discharged 3/23/12!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X