SBA Loan question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SBA Loan question

I am awaiting discharge on my chapter 7 case. I own an LLC that is responsible for an SBA loan with a balance around $10,000. The business has no assets. I included the loan in the codebtor section of my petition. I don't want to keep the business, and obviously do not want to pay the loan if I don't have to.

Is the answer to dissolve the LLC? What are the consequences of not paying the loan. One person told me I wouldn't be able to get another SBA loan if I default. Any other things i should consider?

Any good advice is appreciated.

That's pretty much it. So long as you are getting out of business and you have filed personal BK, the loan is pretty much dead. I would send a notice to the bank that is servicing the SBA loan that you are closing the business (include the articles of dissolution) and a notice of your BK filing. That will pretty much be the end of it.

Comment

I defaulted on an SBA loan as well. It seemed to be directly through the SBA (it was a personal disaster loan) however. I was told that I would not be eligible for another SBA loan until I had paid back that loan. Also, if at any time the federal government were to owe me anything (which would include a tax refund!), it would be able to garnish that amount to help pay back the loan. Social Security benefits are similarly garnishable within 10 years.

Comment

Jack,

Did you include your loan in bankruptcy? Was your loan in your name or a business entity?

Comment

It was in my name; it was a personal loan, not a business loan.

Comment

Are you sure you didnt "allow" them to put a lien against your residence to back the loan? it is almost always a requirement that they do this.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X