costs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

costs?

hello all, long time lurker. dont post alot. After 2 yrs of putting off the inevitable i am finally gonna take the plunge and do file. Short history at 19, i got a really good job for my age. was clearing about 3k after taxes a month. Stayed with company (selling rascal mobility scooters to people who couldnt walk over the phone) for about 4 years. Right when the economy tanked my company tanked (guess people cant spend 5k for a scooter when they have no income) I survived round after round of layoffs knowing my time would come. I was laid off about a month before the company closed the doors.

I collected unemployment for 1.5 yrs while being told "why dont you just look for a job" people really didnt understand how hard getting a job was. I was bringing home 1640 a month on unemployment when I finally found this job that I clear about 1400 a month (hey a jobs a job right) on a good month my bills are about 1100 ish which leaves me a whopping 200 a month to my self.

At 20 I had a bmw, a 20k limit on my amex card, and a 15k limit on my visa. didnt liusten to my parents when they said credit cards are evil and I shouldnt be driving a bmw at 20. I have zero assets from having to sell everything I owned to just make ends meat. I drive a 97 saturn thats gonna die anyday. I live with my mom and she has been nice only charging me $500 a month which I appreciate everyday. I have about 45000 in debt, if I tried paying this back it would be my entire lifetime. I have noone to blame but myself and am thankful there is bankruptcy protection in place to give a individual a fresh start. Will never use credit again

I live in south New Jersey, my question is how much am I looking at for a lawyer, just a decent one. My case is pretty straight forward. No Assets, about 200 a month disposable income. Gross around 20k a yr and have about 45000 in cc, auto, hospital, and past eviction debt. I have also been reading and researching on doing it myself, understand the process from this great site and you great people. Could a person like myself (no assets, clear cut chapter 7) do this themselves? or is it best to get a lawyer? I have gone as far as printing out the forms and started to fill them out and it seemed pretty straight forward and simple to be honest, or is it best to have a lawyer?

Im just worried that saving 1500 up for a lawyer will take a lifetime. Also afraid that if I mess up one paper or forget a single paper I will be told "you messed up, o well your beat" are the courts somewhat forgiving, will they tell you that your missing papers when you file or if you messed up will the clerk or trustee let you refile the paper? sorry for all the questions, just stressed, relieved, nervous and axious at same time

How much are your minimum payments on your cc, auto, hospital, and past eviction debt each month?
    ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
    Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

I believe having 200.00 DMI could also be a problem. Is that 200 after ALL your expenses are calculated and that is what is leftover?

Comment

Fisrt thing you need to nail down is your MDI. As another poster pointed out, $200 is Chapter 13 land.
        Here's a good source.

Most bk lawyers give a free or lowcost initial consultation. Speak with a few and get all of your options explained.

Comment

I agree with Keepmine, go the the recommended site and do the test. 200 is alot but are you may not be including things like medical and etc. The test will help verify that income.

Also, see several lawyers until you are comfortable and arrange a payment plan. Many folks here did that over a period of time. I don't think I would attempt myself based on that 200.00 DMI but maybe after some consults (free), you would feel comfortable.

As you know, this forum is the place to be while you travel the BK road. Good luck and keep us posted.
          Filed CH 7 4/15/11
          341 5/23/11
          DISCHARGED & CLOSED ON 7/27/11

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong, but if there is too much DMI, can't Mom just raise the rent?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X