2nd Equity loans being discharged by banks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd Equity loans being discharged by banks

I've just learned that there is new program were banks are discharging the 2nd loans...no need to negotiate...they send you a fedex package and you sign it and send it back. My friend got hers completely wiped off from Chase. I called then and told them I wanted to be in this program and they are having a rep look into my loan. I owed them 83,000 which was discharged and I was waiting to negotiate.

Our second mortgage on the out of state rental (we are letting it go when we file) is with SLS (BOA sold it to them this past summer right before we stopped paying) and they just sent a notice yesterday that they were starting the foreclosure process. Actually, with BOA still holding the first that might be a faster road to getting it out of hubbys name, right? BOA has not started the foreclosure process as of yet for the first (we are 90 days no pay at this point) so we were kind of surprised to see the notice from SLS. They have been sending us settlement letters since we have been at 60 days late so we thought it was another settlement offer. Anyway, if they move this fast then its all theirs!

Comment

Originally posted by HOMEBODY View Post
      I've just learned that there is new program were banks are discharging the 2nd loans...no need to negotiate...they send you a fedex package and you sign it and send it back. My friend got hers completely wiped off from Chase. I called then and told them I wanted to be in this program and they are having a rep look into my loan. I owed them 83,000 which was discharged and I was waiting to negotiate.

My loan is with a credit union.... I'm guessing they aren't doing programs like this as of yet.... I am not late on my first, nor do I have much equity ( if the 2nd isn't counted) which is why the CU has not tried to foreclose. I haven't paid the 2nd in almost 2 years. I have offered them a settlement offer on more than one occasion. They have flat out refused so far. I plan to send an offer to the CU Board and other higher ups before I give up & continue to wait.

Comment

Homebody, was your mortgage upside down?

Comment

Yes, more info, please

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

name of program? conditions of program?? who( what department) at Chase did you contact?

Comment

Wow...if this is true I couldn't be any happier. Although I'm betting PNC will not be one of the banks offering this. I would love nothing more than to get those idiots off my back once and for all. My big question is what is the criteria for this?
              08-2009:Quit Paying Credit Cards
              04-2010:Hired 2nd Attorney;05-2010:Filed 7
              06-2010:341 Meeting (went very well)
              08-24-2010: Discharged; 09-02-2010 Closed!!

Comment

There are only 2 programs I am aware of that are specifically targeted at 2nd mortgages, both have had a limited impact (this comes for the HUD Website)

Second Lien Modification Program (2MP): If your first mortgage was permanently modified under HAMP SM and you have a second mortgage on the same property, you may be eligible for a modification or principal reduction on your second mortgage under 2MP. Likewise, If you have a home equity loan, HELOC, or some other second lien that is making it difficult for you to keep up with your mortgage payments, learn more about this MHA program. Click Here for more information.
                This page provides general background and information on the housing programs established by Treasury under TARP. The MHA program expired on December 31, 2016, however, help may still be available through your mortgage company or through the Homeowner Assistance Fund.Consumer Fraud AlertIn the beginning of 2009, the U.S. economy was facing the fallout from a housing bubble that by some measures had doubled home prices in a period of six years. By the time the Obama Administration took office in January 2009, home prices had fallen for 30 straight months. Home values had fallen by nearly one-third. Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac had been in conservatorship for four months, and American families were struggling to buy and keep their homes.In February 2009, President Obama announced a number of steps to strengthen the housing market and help struggling homeowners avoid foreclosure. As part of this broad response to the housing crisis, Treasury, under TARP, established two central programs, Making Home Affordable® (MHA) and the Hardest Hit Fund® (HHF).In December 2016, the Making Home Affordable (MHA) program expired. Although this resource is no longer available to homeowners, help is still available. Mortgage companies will continue to offer assistance. Contact your mortgage company or lender directly to inquire about available solutions.Key FactsTreasury, under TARP, launched Making Home Affordable® (MHA), to provide mortgage relief to homeowners and prevent avoidable foreclosures.The cornerstone of MHA was the Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP®), which permanently reduced mortgage payments to affordable levels for qualifying borrowers. MHA expanded to include a number of other specialized programs.Treasury also introduced the Hardest Hit Fund® (HHF), which helps those states hardest hit by home price declines and high unemployment to develop locally-tailored foreclosure prevention solutions.Treasury's programs are part of a wider government response designed to help homeowners, preserve communities, and keep mortgage rates affordable for families.Programs at a GlanceMaking Home Affordable® (MHA)The Making Home Affordable Program® (MHA) provided mortgage relief to homeowners to prevent avoidable foreclosures. This included the Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP), which permanently reduced mortgage payments to affordable levels for qualifying borrowers. MHA expanded to include a number of other specialized programs. MHA helped over 1.8 million families obtain mortgage relief and avoid foreclosure. MHA expired in December 2016.Hardest Hit Fund (HHF)The Hardest Hit Fund® was created to provide targeted aid to families in states hit hard by the economic and housing market downturn. The participating states were chosen either because they are struggling with unemployment rates at or above the national average or steep home price declines greater than 20 percent since the housing market downturn.

or

Treasury/FHA Second Lien Program (FHA2LP): If you have a second mortgage and the mortgage servicer of your first mortgage agrees to participate in FHA Short Refinance, you may qualify to have your second mortgage on the same home reduced or eliminated through FHA2LP. If the servicer of your second mortgage agrees to participate, the total amount of your mortgage debt after the refinance cannot exceed 115% of your home’s current value. Click Here for more information.
                This page provides general background and information on the housing programs established by Treasury under TARP. The MHA program expired on December 31, 2016, however, help may still be available through your mortgage company or through the Homeowner Assistance Fund.Consumer Fraud AlertIn the beginning of 2009, the U.S. economy was facing the fallout from a housing bubble that by some measures had doubled home prices in a period of six years. By the time the Obama Administration took office in January 2009, home prices had fallen for 30 straight months. Home values had fallen by nearly one-third. Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac had been in conservatorship for four months, and American families were struggling to buy and keep their homes.In February 2009, President Obama announced a number of steps to strengthen the housing market and help struggling homeowners avoid foreclosure. As part of this broad response to the housing crisis, Treasury, under TARP, established two central programs, Making Home Affordable® (MHA) and the Hardest Hit Fund® (HHF).In December 2016, the Making Home Affordable (MHA) program expired. Although this resource is no longer available to homeowners, help is still available. Mortgage companies will continue to offer assistance. Contact your mortgage company or lender directly to inquire about available solutions.Key FactsTreasury, under TARP, launched Making Home Affordable® (MHA), to provide mortgage relief to homeowners and prevent avoidable foreclosures.The cornerstone of MHA was the Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP®), which permanently reduced mortgage payments to affordable levels for qualifying borrowers. MHA expanded to include a number of other specialized programs.Treasury also introduced the Hardest Hit Fund® (HHF), which helps those states hardest hit by home price declines and high unemployment to develop locally-tailored foreclosure prevention solutions.Treasury's programs are part of a wider government response designed to help homeowners, preserve communities, and keep mortgage rates affordable for families.Programs at a GlanceMaking Home Affordable® (MHA)The Making Home Affordable Program® (MHA) provided mortgage relief to homeowners to prevent avoidable foreclosures. This included the Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP), which permanently reduced mortgage payments to affordable levels for qualifying borrowers. MHA expanded to include a number of other specialized programs. MHA helped over 1.8 million families obtain mortgage relief and avoid foreclosure. MHA expired in December 2016.Hardest Hit Fund (HHF)The Hardest Hit Fund® was created to provide targeted aid to families in states hit hard by the economic and housing market downturn. The participating states were chosen either because they are struggling with unemployment rates at or above the national average or steep home price declines greater than 20 percent since the housing market downturn.

Although under those programs it may be possible to fully discharge a 2nd mortgage, I am not aware of a new program that makes it easier.

Comment

Frankly, even though my conservative philosophy is screaming at me from the sidelines, I believe debt forgiveness by the banks in certain situations makes sense. Strict qualifying conditions to gate the rising tide. The ability to forego giving the customer a 1099 for the balance. Etc.

Lots of things would have to be in place, but if I were dictator, I'd lean pretty heavily on the banks to trim their losses early, because I don't think that we have seen the full extent of the iceberg that is chilling this economy. Seems like we are still steaming full speed ahead, knowing that disaster could strike at any moment. Make hay while the sun shines, I say.

Comment

Don't most of these 2nd mortgage holders have some type of insurance on these loans anyway. So I would think it would make since to pull the bandage lickety split and move on. Maybe the lenders are still listing these 2nds as assets or something and are nervous about their balance sheets becoming out of balance(like the rest of us).

Quit fighting it and file a 13.
                    11/23/'10-filed ch 13. 1/6/'11-341, confirmed. Below median. Plan completed 11/30/2015. DISSCHARGED 4/4/2016.JP

Comment

Originally posted by spidge View Post
                      Maybe the lenders are still listing these 2nds as assets or something and are nervous about their balance sheets becoming out of balance(like the rest of us).
                      Are you suggesting that the banks might actually be cooking the books, trying to hide the extent of the damage below the waterline and out of sight?

Say it isn't so!

You ain't seen nothing yet. Just wait until this depression outlasts the cute accounting tricks and the extent of the truth is revealed. At that point, I hope you have adequate ammo, seeds, and gold, since those will be the only commodities with any value. And I'm not sure about gold, either, since it isn't edible.

Comment

Here is a good article on why banks do not write down principal

5 Reason Why Banks Foreclose Instead of Settling.
                        Get breaking Finance news and the latest business articles from AOL. From stock market news to jobs and real estate, it can all be found here.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X