top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In Chap 7 do they always take your tax refund?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, to summarize: change your withholding amount. File after you receive your refund. Spend the refund on exempt purchases. Make sure to add the refund to your income in the Means Test.

Stick with us. We can help. Maybe start a new thread with some of your specific numbers and details, and we can assist better.

Comment

Based on his previous posts, the OP should be able to exempt any tax refund since he can use Federal bankruptcy exemptions in Washington and it allows that generous wild card in lieu of homestead.
      ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
      Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Gotta love the federal exemptions!

Let's see if TomTea posts some of his info so we can hobby out some thoughts for him, like that one!

Comment

Sorry guys. I got side tracked. By the way...I'm a woman. TomTea31 literally just popped into my head so I went with it lol. I wanted to be anonymous. That aside,

Here are my numbers

My husband's income to date is 20626.55
          My income to date is 4,060.00 (I'm self employed part time)
          We're a fo4
          *income could change if I find a job before the Dec. And my husband is now working a 2nd job to make up for me not working FT. I suspect we'd still be below median though

Is the homestead wild card in addition to the other exemptions?

Anything else you need? Should I start a new post?

Comment

If there is a refund, wait until after the end of the year, and use the refund to pay an attorney.

Or take your time and learn a lot more about the process. a small mistake can cost you, so be careful and make sure you are doing it right.

Comment

Originally posted by TomTea31 View Post
              Sorry guys. I got side tracked. By the way...I'm a woman. TomTea31 literally just popped into my head so I went with it lol. I wanted to be anonymous. That aside,

Here are my numbers

My husband's income to date is 20626.55
              My income to date is 4,060.00 (I'm self employed part time)
              We're a fo4
              *income could change if I find a job before the Dec. And my husband is now working a 2nd job to make up for me not working FT. I suspect we'd still be below median though

Is the homestead wild card in addition to the other exemptions?

Anything else you need? Should I start a new post?
              I filed in Washington state and used the Federal exemptions. I was able to protect my home, equity in a financed vehicle, a paid off car and motorcycle, $12K in cows, all personal property, and $5K of my tax refund. II only had enough of my exemptions left to cover about half the value of the cows so I gambled that the trustee didn't want to get into the cattle business and wouldn't seize them and that's the way it turned out.

Since you are married the exemptions double and if you don't need $20K of exemptions for your house you can apply that to any other asset, even cash. This is also a federal wildcard of around $1K I think, so in addition to all of the specific exemptions under the federal schedule, you should have about $22K in exemptions. Unless you have significant assets you haven't mentioned, you should be able to fit your tax return in without a problem.

Good luck.
              Case Closed > 2/08/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X