Buying stuff while in bankruptcy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying stuff while in bankruptcy

Can you buy toys for your kids while in bankruptcy or does it have to be exempt items only. Also I need to go visit my brother and would have to stay in a hotel $100 dollars or less, would this cause problems? Has any one on here ran into problems on purchases they made after they filed but before discharge?

You are allowed to live a normal lifestyle while in bk.
    Nobody is worried about toys for children or a $100 hotel bill.

Comment

That's good to know. I'd hate to get permission to spend any money that was over and above my trustee payment if I went to all the trouble of finding the extra cash in my budget. I'm sure that there is a "but...." here somewhere I'm sure someone will respond with that.
      Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

thanks for setting me at ease on this.

Comment

Mrloaf, do you know if the SSDI is going to force you to a 13?

Comment

As others have stated, you are allowed to live a lifestyle, but depending on what YOUR definition of 'NORMAL', that depends.

You are allowed to purchase your normal stuff to maintain your home and family, pay bills, etc.

But if you were in the habit of going out for dinner every week or spending weekends somewhere else, those items need to be scaled back. I note the remark about the $100.00 motel room, or less. Unless you are planning a trip to a large city--save, save, save for any kind of trip--plan on paying 50-60 or less for a motel room. 'Hub and I do it every year when we go on our yearly trip. Yes, we might end up at Motel 6, but the rooms are clean, and for the most part are now being upgraded.

Good luck to you!
            "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Miknan, the lawyer told me on wednesday that there was no way the 7 could be turned to a 13. He stated that the trustee I got would probably try and take the backpay, but he said there is no way she would get it, he would win if it went to trial. He said that it doesnt put me over the state medium income, and it cant be considered disposible income. He said he has been doing this for 35 years and he has had other cases just like this, and he would win if she wants to fight this. He called the trustee while we were meeting on wednseday to find out if he needed to ammend my schedules and postpone my 341 untill she knew what else she needed as far as paperwork. The lawyer said he thought the trustee would try and continue the 341. After he talked to the trustee she said he would allow him to ammend anything verbally while in the 341 and to go ahead and show up on monday. He said this was a good sign, and that he has had a good working relationship with this trustee, they both respect each other for being very thorough and getting all the info they need so that they dont have to draw these things out any longer than necessary.

Comment

That's good news MrLoaf. Good luck to you.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X