top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will my bank accounts be frozen when I file Chap 7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have checking, saving and business checking with wells fargo. Also had over $10k of credit card debt with them and they didn't freeze any acct.

Comment

Originally posted by luckstyl View Post
      so if I have Wells Fargo do I need to plan on switching banks immediately after filing?

From what my atty says and everything I've heard here I would BEFORE I filed.

Comment

so if I have Wells Fargo do I need to plan on switching banks immediately after filing?
        Definitely before...NOT after.

Comment

If you owe Wells Fargo any money, you need to change to another bank prior to filing bankruptcy.
          Chapter 7 Filed: 07/15/2011, 341 Meeting: 08/24/2011, Report of No Distrubution: 08/27/2011, Discharged: 10/31/2011, Closed: 11/04/2011

Comment

And if I could add again - with WF they tend to freeze your account regardless!!!

Comment

Of course I withrawed the money out before filling. Just a few dollar left

Comment

TomTea, if you live in WA, it's a community property state. That means your spouse will be on the hook for your medical debts if you aren't both doing the BK. The majority of debt in my case is my husband's, but his creditors WILL go after me if I didn't file. Heck, the collectors have been looking me up and my assets and these are collectors after him, not me.

Comment

Prior to our BK, we deposited our extra exempt cash into a Paypal account. We had the account forever, and also had the Paypal debit card, so it wasn't any different than using any other bank.

A word of advice for all who change banks just before filing: MAKE SURE that you receive your funds in the form of a bank check or cashier's check for the FULL AMOUNT of your balance, then use that check to open the new account. The Trustee will appreciate it if you didn't have to explain why the balances were different, or explain where the cash went, etc. Leave an easy to follow paper trail that leaves no doubts that you aren't trying to throw one past the Trustee.

Comment

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is if you owe taxes, especially state (our state is very aggressive with collections), they can freeze your bank account. I speak from experience. Thankfully my husband has a separate account and the tax debt is just mine not his.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X