Tools of the trade question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tools of the trade question

I have a question about exempting tools of trade for federal. I am not currently working in my profession but I am looking and I do volunteer in it. I graduated Dec of last year but have had no luck finding a suitable position. I will admit that for the first few months I didn't look. I was just happy being school free and enjoying the extra time with my kiddos. Anyway,

Can I deduct trade tools such as the psychology books that I will need in my profession and currently use for my volunteer work, even though I currently do not make money from it "yet"?

What If I have 2 trades? I freelance as a writer, and have office equipment although it's not worth that much.

Originally posted by TomTea31 View Post
    I have a question about exempting tools of trade for federal. I am not currently working in my profession but I am looking and I do volunteer in it. I graduated Dec of last year but have had no luck finding a suitable position. I will admit that for the first few months I didn't look. I was just happy being school free and enjoying the extra time with my kiddos. Anyway,

Can I deduct trade tools such as the psychology books that I will need in my profession and currently use for my volunteer work, even though I currently do not make money from it "yet"?

What If I have 2 trades? I freelance as a writer, and have office equipment although it's not worth that much.
    Are you asking about tools of the trade exemption for assets?
    or
    Are you trying to claim an expense for the means test?

Those are two different issues. The trustee will not likely want your books, but if you are close to a chapter 13 might object to expenses for a job you don't have yet.

Comment

I'm asking about the tools of the trade exemption to exempt tools of the trade. I am not anywhere close to the medium income level for WA state as I'm barely working and my husband works in a low skilled area.

Comment

It depends on the State you live. Also what the tools are. Computers are NOT considered tools. Books I would list as a flea market price. No one wants books and they are impossible to sell. You have no worry about your tools as your personal exemptions would probably cover everything you own. 'Hub
        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
          Computers are NOT considered tools.
          That is not an accurate statement. It depends on the profession.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X