frequent flyer miles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

frequent flyer miles

I am going to be filing around May 2012. I have approx 200,000 miles in my American airlines frequent flyers account. Approximately half were earned through air travel and the other half through my Citibank AA American Express. What will happen to these miles when I file? I'm assuming it will be one of the following:

1. Nothing (that would be great!)
    2. Citibank would take back all the miles earned. This doesn't make much sense as I paid for previous purchases.
    3. Citibank would take back the miles on the amount owed to Citibank at the time of filing which would be 16,000 or so.

Which do you think would happen? I'd love to save them so I can go visit my family at a later date. If I convert them to a gift card it would equal $750 which I don't want to do. Also, they have been deposited into my AA account...

Any expert advice?

They will not take your miles. They don't really belong to you anyway, they belong to American. Citibank paid for the miles, but American is not giving them either the miles or the money back. American can hardly afford it, they filed chapter 11 this morning.

In my chapter 7 I had hundreds of thousands of miles earned from Citibank and kept them all, even though citibank was owed a LOT of money.

Nothing will happen, the way the aadvantage program is structured they are safe from everyone but American airlines themselves.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X