Including utilities in BK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Including utilities in BK

Getting ready to file and my attorney pulls my credit report. I see two small balances owed to two utility companies - one power company and one cable/Internet company that I forgot I even owed. Total of about $210.

I'm concerned that including these in the bankruptcy and having them discharged would mean that next time I lease an apartment that the utility companies would refuse to turn on the utilities in my apartment. Can they do this? Should I just pay them before I file?

I'm especially worried because I'd really like to move back to that city again in the next couple years and I would need to go through those same two companies. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Filed: 12/29/11
    341 Meeting: 1/23/12

We included utility bills and had no issue getting service...

Comment

You must include them as your lawyer directed. Paying them now would mean you made a preferential payment and that is a no, no. After your 341 you may pay them but incur no further credit until discharge. It probably would not hurt to let them be. If in a couple years you do go back, the worse thing would be a deposit would be needed. That's no big deal as in any new service as electricity, a deposit is asked for anyway. 'Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

After I filed chapter 13 last year, my electric company and my gas company closed both of my accounts that had small balances. At the same time however, I was issued new accounts, and wasn't asked for any deposits. I hadn't even listed them, since nothing on these accounts was past due. I found this out from the gas company when I received my first "new" bill welcoming me as a new customer. :-) I think I even asked my utility companies why I just couldn't keep on with the old accounts, but they told me this was "standard procedure" when someone goes into bankruptcy.

Comment

I included my electric company in my plan, because I had a past due balance. They closed that account, and issued me a new account number, but I had to pay a deposit.
          Filed: 5/22/07; 341 Hearing: 6/27/07;
          Confirmed: 8/13/07; DISCHARGED 4/17/2012

Comment

thanks everyone
            Filed: 12/29/11
            341 Meeting: 1/23/12

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X