No announcement yet.

Paying taxes on property of the estate received by the debtor post-discharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paying taxes on property of the estate received by the debtor post-discharge

Timeline:
    1. I filed a class action lawsuit
    2. I filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, noting the lawsuit on line 21 of Schedule B
    3. I received my discharge
    4. I amended Schedule B to reflect a proposed settlement including a $5,000 class representative incentive award and Schedule C to apply the last $3,500 of my wildcard exemption to it
    5. The settlement was finalized
    6. I received a check from the settlement administrator made out in my name for $5,000

I have been told previously that because I filed the class action lawsuit before I filed for Chapter 7 that the class representative incentive award becomes the property of the bankruptcy estate.

My questions:
    1. What do I do with this check?
    A. Cash it and send the remaining $1,500 to my bankruptcy trustee
    B. Cash it and send all $5,000 to my bankruptcy trustee
    C. Send it as is to my bankruptcy trustee (can my bankruptcy trustee cash a check made out in my name?)
    D. Sign it over to my bankruptcy trustee
    E. Something else?
    2. Does my bankruptcy trustee receive, as his fee, 25% of the $5,000 or 25% of the $1,500?

3. Will the tax return my bankruptcy trustee files on behalf of the estate reflect income of $1,500 or $5,000? (or some other amount after his fee is taken out)

4. If I have to send all $5,000 to my bankruptcy trustee, will the amount I receive back ever be less than $3,500? I.e. can my bankruptcy trustee take some of his fee and taxes out of the exempt portion? E.g. if he takes $1,250 as his fee and taxes are $1,000 leaving only $2,750 for me.

5. Do I have to pay income tax on the $3,500? I.e. is the $3,500 considered my income, the estate's income, or both? If I have to pay income tax on it, where do I report it?

6. Anything else I should know?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X