Getting financial aid during bk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting financial aid during bk?

We haven't filed yet, but will likely very soon. I am starting back to school next week and (unexpectedly) found that I was eligible for some financial aid in the form of low interest loans.

Anyone have experience with this? I have emailed my lawyer, but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks!

The school may ask for some sort of proof that you have not included any previous student loans in your BK. Even though they are not dischargeable, they may ask. Other than that, I had no issue getting financial aid.

Comment

When I was going through my BK I still received my financial aid. I had to submit some extra forms to the school. Besides the extra forms that I had to submit it was pretty easy. I went through a BK 7 and had already had my 341 meeting though when I received my next set of loans. The trustee did ask me in my 341 meeting what I had done with the previous loan I had received and I said I paid for my summer semester, paid my lawyer, and put tires on my car. He was fine with all this, and I had all the documentation that my lawyer had submitted to the trustee prior. I did not have to give any extra money back to the trustee from my previous loans. Just make sure that you can protect any extra funds that are given back to you from the excess amount of the loans. Example would be using a wild card if any is available to use within your state.
      Chapter 7 filed on 4/23/2010
      341 meeting on 5/28/2010
      Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I finally did talk to my lawyer and he said it shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X