top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know how inheritance exemption assets work with trustee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know how inheritance exemption assets work with trustee?

Hi All,

As you may know my FIL passed away unexpectedly in October 11. (We filed in Sept.) We filed Chpt 7 no asset and received our dismissal December 11 (yeah). Upon learning of an inheritance my husband was entitled to we immediatley contacted our attny who reported it to our Trustee. Our case now remains open because of the inheritance. We understand that the majority of the inheritance my husband is entitled to must be turned over and we are keeping everthing above board with our attny and trustee.

We have been told by out attny we are able to exempt a small portion under scheule b & c personal property exemptions. I am unclear how this payment/distribution etc. is supposed to work. We received a payment from the estate and was told by atty to send to trustee. We send the $$ and haven't heard anything. Once the exemption paperwork is filed and the trustee and atty agree on exempted amount will they send a refund, do we send all funds to trustee and they will disperse to us after all inheritance is paid? I can't get a clear answer from atty and am trying to understand what to expect.

Anyone?????

Comment

Typically, anything that is exempt that goes to the Trustee will get returned to you "in due time." I believe that the Trustee makes the decision about when "due time" is and the check should come from that office. I would imagine that this is much like a tax refund, where the Trustee can intercept the check from the Treasury, make whatever payments, then forward the exempt amount to the filer.

Just my best guess. Check your filing to make sure that the portion you expect (likely what would normally fit under your personal exemptions) was indeed noted on your B and C.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X