No announcement yet.

Quit paying on car, house, ccs. Now worried about means tes with freed up cash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quit paying on car, house, ccs. Now worried about means tes with freed up cash

My husband is filing in 4 months. I am not on any of his bills except for current home we paid $60,000 for. House in MN is in his name only. It is rental property now in foreclosure. We live in NC and have a small property and are up to date on payments, never late. It is the only thing I have my name on and we will keep it.

My question is this. We easily fall within the means test guidelines. Will they look at our outstanding monthly debts too? I believe they will. But since we quit paying on everything, now our monthly debt is low. The car payment is no longer there because it just got repossesed 3 weeks ago. The MN house is in foreclosure so we don't have that debt. What if it sells as a forclosure before we file?

No credit card payments since we are in default. We are saving up our freed up money for back IRS taxes and attorney. Any reasons I should be concerned? We are not struggling now that we quit paying. By the way, my husband works full time but I have MS and got laid off from my job in December. Thanks for any advice.

one thing to add. We owe back IRS taxes of $11000. Next April will be three years since the filing. If we waited until then we could include it in br. But by then it will be down to $8000. Since I am on that debt then I believe I would have to file too which may not be worth it. We pay $275 month on this . We also will be paying $1600 towards federal taxes in April. We have most of this saved up. We claimed extra exemptions and did't have enough taken out because we needed the money for bills.

Comment

The Means Test allows for standards in terms of housing and transportation. Go to one of the online means test sites and see what happens.
      Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X