top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever negotiate a settlement on an underwater second mortgage or HELOC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever negotiate a settlement on an underwater second mortgage or HELOC?

We're 100% underwater on our second mortgage. We did an 80/20, and it's possible that even the 80 is under by a few thousand. But there's no doubt the 20 is totally unsecured at this point. I'm just wondering if anybody's ever successfully used a strategy to reduce the 2nd or HELOC. Like not pay for a year or two and then negotiate a settlement to release the lien?

We had our first and seconds through the same big bank, but my first was sold to a new bank the day after I filed. (I had received notice it was being sold about a month earlier, before my filing date. Sucks to be the new bank, eh?) I was just thinking/hoping/wishing the sale of my first to the new bank would be a disguised blessing since now my second is held by a different bank. If I was foreclosed for not paying the second, there'd be nada left for the second holder, so there's little if any incentive for them to foreclose on me, n'est-pas? We're stay and pay, btw.

One of the posters who spent a lot of time here in 2009/2010 did so. I can't recall her profile name. She was in southern California area. I'm sure someone will remember. She wrote extensively about the process.
    Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Generally, I have only seen these settlements when the person filed BK or unless the person lives in a non-recourse state (meaning, the 2nd mortgage cannot pursue the borrower, you, for the deficiency).
      Last edited by HHM; 02-17-2012, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
        One of the posters who spent a lot of time here in 2009/2010 did so. I can't recall her profile name. She was in southern California area. I'm sure someone will remember. She wrote extensively about the process.
        That was me OF, yes I did successfully negotiate a settlement on our HELOC with Wells, and it wasn't 100% underwater. We ended up settling for 10 cents on the dollar, so $20K on a $200,000 loan.
        Filed Chapter 7: 7/3/09
        341 Hearing: 8/6/09 - Went Smoothly!
        Discharged: 11/30/2009
        Closed: 12/16/2009

Comment

I just received a settlement offer for my HELOC. I will pay $5000 on a $101,000 loan.

Comment

Thanks for the posts. I'm not sure yet that I have the gumption to do it, but the idea is still floating around in my head. Those of you who did it, did you just stop paying? I'll search your u/n 2manybills to see if I can glean any info.

Comment

I've been researching the same thing and was directed to this site.

Comment

Originally posted by my2girls View Post
                I've been researching the same thing and was directed to this site.
                http://www.loansafe.org/forum/debt-s...-your-2nd.html
                Thank you! Will start reading now.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X