Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One Major Step

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to give a quick update. Hubby and I found a lawyer that we really like and respect. We will actually be able to make payments on the bk expense. Today, we stopped paying non secured debt like our credit cards. It really feels strange but we will be able to file sooner than we thought. We are hoping to file in early April. This will give us a chance to come up with the money needed to initially file, etc.

I have to admit part of me feels guilty for having to go through this or even stop paying bills. I know it's the best decision for us in the long run. We have to meet with our lawyer again next week to complete some more paperwork and make some other decisions about our house and cars. We are current on the mortgage and one car payment. The other we are thinking of just letting go because we honestly don't need the vehicle. And not to be strapped with two car payments would be nice down the road.

We have been paying cash for everything and it feels good. We are creating a budget for post bankruptcy life. I have to say reading different stories on here has been very encouraging for us.

Congratulations. Don't be in any hurry to file. As long as you have retained an attorney you will be safe from the annoying collection calls. Don't rush to scrounge the money to pay the attorney.
    Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

We are paying her a retainer fee next week. Is it better to wait another month to file?

Comment

Originally posted by Fargo View Post
        We are paying her a retainer fee next week. Is it better to wait another month to file?
        It doesn't make any difference. I don't advocate rushing into a bankruptcy unless their are judgements against you which the plaintiff is actively trying to collect on OR you expect an increase in income soon which could change your status from a 7 to a 13.
        Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Check with your attorney on how they work with the phone calls. Many do not take the phone calls until you have a filing number (have paid them in full and have actually filed) otherwise they would be answering alot of calls for people and some of those people might take a very long time to pay. You might want to look into setting up Google Voice (search it) and start using that asap, it will be your saving grace until you can get filed. Filing is up to you, if you are ready go for it if not then wait until you are ready. Truthfully, once you file you will wonder why you did not do it sooner! Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Drazil65 View Post
            Check with your attorney on how they work with the phone calls. Many do not take the phone calls until you have a filing number (have paid them in full and have actually filed) otherwise they would be answering alot of calls for people and some of those people might take a very long time to pay. You might want to look into setting up Google Voice (search it) and start using that asap, it will be your saving grace until you can get filed. Filing is up to you, if you are ready go for it if not then wait until you are ready. Truthfully, once you file you will wonder why you did not do it sooner! Good Luck!
            Google voice is a good idea! We just stopped paying today so it will be a little while before calls start except for the one car loan. We will discuss it more with the lawyer to see what's best in our situation. Thanks!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X