Money in bank...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Money in bank...

When we filed we had $126 in the bank. This is the busy time of year for my work and 80% of our income with be made in the next 4 months. Will they look at the account in a month or two and come after me if there is a good amount in there?

No. The date you filed is the 'snapshot' of your financial life. You could win the lottery the day after you filed, and that money (and the headaches) would be yours. The only thing to worry about is if you get an inheritance witin the 180 days after you file.
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

So, a quick question which kind of relates to the OP's bank question. When we filed we also had very little in the banks, due to being out of work, etc. But the trustee has requested we bring our February bank statements and paystubs to the 341 in March. We supplied up to January in the filing. If bank balances, etc don't matter after the filing 'snapshot' why are we being asked to supply bank/pay information after the date after the filing? Any ideas on that one?

Anyone else been asked to do so? Just curious.
      Filed Chapter 7: Feb. 9, 2012
      341 Meeting: March 14, 2012
      Discharged & Closed: May 21, 2012

Comment

I can't say in your case. We were not asked to bring anything with us to the 341, except a copy of our Marriage License.

We had a negative balance in our checking account on the day we filed. That was Dec. 28, 2007. By the time we had our 341 on February, we would have received our yearly stipend from a retirement instrument, and some of that money would still have been in the bank. Most of that goes to pay property taxes, insurances, etc.

Our trustee would have been aware of it, as it was posted in our paperwork. But we had to wait til the end of the year to file, so that it would drop off the radar of the six month look-back on our bank (actually a CU) statements.

Different areas of the Florida Middle District act a little bit differently than the others...

I guess this is a long-winded way of saying I don't know....

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
          No. The date you filed is the 'snapshot' of your financial life. You could win the lottery the day after you filed, and that money (and the headaches) would be yours. The only thing to worry about is if you get an inheritance witin the 180 days after you file.
          Not wishing to end my life soon, I have to make a clarification to Mrs. comment. For the paperwork question, she is right about if you come into money after filing, FOR THE MEANS value, it does not affect a thing. The look back in looking back not ahead. HOWEVER, upon the 341 the Trustee would ask if anything has changed since the filing of the case. You MUST tell him and that money then become part of the estate. After the 341, I'm not sure as 180 days go. Is it only for inheritance or "did you know" of the possibility of an inheritance? Bonuses or pay increases don't generally count. 'Hub
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
            Well, I was told if I wont the lottery in the following 6 months I would have to report it....
            Jessica
            Filed Chapter 7 (Minnesota): 5/23/11
            Discharged 8/30/11, Not yet closed...

Comment

Originally posted by JessMN View Post
              Well, I was told if I wont the lottery in the following 6 months I would have to report it....
              See above post. Not sure of the timeline but six months is near 180 days. I think you are right on. Even winning gambling stash over probably $600. 'Hub
              If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I guess I shouldn't have used the lottery as an example, but I have read varying opinions about the lottery, and that it isn't considered a 'windfall' in the BK Code for CH7. But that doesn't mean that it might not attract the attention of the UST. This thread is one that took place within the last year:

And here is another thread:

Last edited by AngelinaCat; 02-26-2012, 08:38 AM.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X