Paying taxes on Ch. 7 discharged debts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
    Yeah, H&R Block messed up my taxes once. Didn't know how to do an NOL (Net Operating Loss) carryback. The excuse was that business taxes were done from a different office and that I should go to that office in the future!

Oh well.
    From someone that had to do a NOL, it's not that hard to do. Trust me I hadn't done more than a 1040EZ before I had to do it. It's good to know there might be an industry I could work in should I get fired like everyone else has at my company!
    Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

Intererestingly, I just heard Clark Howard say that if you settle with a collection agency for pennies on a dollar and the amount owed is more than $600, they will send you a 1099 and you will have to pay taxes on the amount you didn't pay!
      Filed BK 7 Pro Se: August 2010 341 Meeting: September 2010
      November 2010
      Closed: January 2011!!!

Comment

I know which you mean.. ROF!

Originally posted by mountanddo View Post
        It's like going to Great Clips for a haircut. They know the basics but don't have them do anything difficult or you might be living with it for awhile.

Comment

wow, bk in NJ! That is something they never tell! I have never heard that before, yet I fully believe it.

Comment

You only receive 1099s if you settle debts. You pay tax on the forgiven amount. Let's say you owe 500, and you settle for 200. You have to pay taxes on 300.
            Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X