Student Loan - Showing Discharged in Credit Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Student Loan - Showing Discharged in Credit Report

So I'm waiting for my discharge, (20 more days) and I signed up for a credit service (equifax).

I pulled my credit and found everything that was open is listed as dicharged or closed due to bankruptcy with 0 balances. Including my student loan....

What do you think this means? Is this normal? Maybe I won't need to pay this loan? I'm current on it, yet it shows it as delinquent?

ACS Student Loan
    Balance: $0

Unless, you filed for an adversary proceeding to argue before a bk judge bthat the student loan should be discharged and the judge ruled in your favor, the loans survived bk.
    Just stay current.

Comment

Ditto to what keepmine said...

There is no "accidental" discharge of student loans. The credit report is not a legal document, it is not where you go to find out the true status of a debt.

Unless you filed an Adversary Proceeding and have a separate court order declaring the student loan discharged, the debt is NOT discharged. Sorry.

Comment

Most creditors will automatically tag as IIB zero balance on credit reports once they are notified. They do this to ensure they do not cross any lines regarding the BK stay. Had a CU tag an auto loan as IB zero bal even though it was reaffirmed. hth

Comment

Prior to my discharge, my private Wells Fargo student loan said IIB but after my discharge it has now changed back to Paying As Agreed and reporting my perfect payment history. I was worried too....hopefully yours will revert back after discharge
          Chapter 7 Filed 12/7/11
          341 Hearing 1/12/12
          Discharged 3/23/12!

Comment

Dirk,

I am curious - how long did it take following discharge for your loans to be back to "normal"?
            Filed March 4, 2009
            341 April 14, 2009
            Confirmed May 25, 2010!!!

Comment

Usually, a bankruptcy filing will not discharge a student loan without an adversary proceeding to show cause of why an individual will never be able to pay that debt back. In most cases, student loans survive a bankruptcy filing. It doesn't mean it didn't happen though. If you used a bankruptcy attorney to file bankruptcy, I would contact them and see if they could shine some light on this. It would be pretty cool to have the student loans thrown in there as an added benefit to the bankruptcy discharge. It might just be a mistake and will change as soon as the creditor reports it correctly. Although, maybe you'll get lucky!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X