AMEX letter 2 years after discharge....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AMEX letter 2 years after discharge....

We were discharged almost two years ago.

Last week I get a letter from AMEX (I was an authorized user on my wife’s account) advising me that my old card number, expiration date and 3 digit code were brought to the attention the AMEX security department and “Law Enforcement officials “. They weren’t any more specific than that.

I have to presume that I may have charged something years ago and that retailer had retained the card info and their system was compromised somehow. I am also aware that some merchants don’t get authorizations for small amounts (under $50).

I called them and they offered no clarification but I did advise them that their letter wasn’t well received. I also followed with a letter telling them that this was discharged and that they should cease all communications.

Does anyone have any background or insight into what they’re up to ?

Who cares? You are discharged! If you get a second letter, talk to your state's attorney general about harassment.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuagraham View Post
      Who cares? You are discharged! If you get a second letter, talk to your state's attorney general about harassment.
      Either offer a constructive suggestion or stop posting.

To the OP: It's a fishing scam. Some junk debt buyer has bought the account and is rattling the bushes in search of 'low hanging fruit'. Send a Cease and Desist letter to AMEX along with courtesy copies to your attorney and trustee, along with a copy of your Discharge Order. and tell them that they are no longer permitted to contact you.

We have had similar with a medical debt and a telephone bill. They have finally gotten the message.
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
        Either offer a constructive suggestion or stop posting.

To the OP: It's a fishing scam. Some junk debt buyer has bought the account and is rattling the bushes in search of 'low hanging fruit'. Send a Cease and Desist letter to AMEX along with courtesy copies to your attorney and trustee, along with a copy of your Discharge Order. and tell them that they are no longer permitted to contact you.

We have had similar with a medical debt and a telephone bill. They have finally gotten the message.

I think it was actually AMEX themselves. I was an authorized user on my wifes account and they sent her a letter telling her they sent me th eletter. THe cease and desist letter is sent. Hard to believe AMEX would bother risking a huge court judgment over a small amount - then again maybe not. If they send another or anything more specific I'll haul them back to court. I've already dont that twice and who knows... Maybe more $$$.

Did it with an HOA who didn't get the message. Twice. $7400 for me so far..

Comment

I had a person from some jdb call me at Sunday Dinner, about a cleanup fee on a lot that my Aunt had sold FOUR years before she died. I was her only heir. The caller got treated to a full invective about how inefficient THEIR bookkeeping department for not know that the lot in question had been sold long before, and that furthermore my Aunt had passed on, and I was very grateful that she did not have to have this VERY RUDE phone call interfere with her Sunday Dinner.

Good luck to you! Let us know how it goes.
          "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

I'm not as merciful as you. When my HOA mailed me a collection letter after filing I went back to court and won. Then after I won they sent me another letter and we're back in court again and won. Problem is that they were paying me my normal hourly rate to haull their little fannies back. It was truly fun listening to the judge scold them. Twice.

I really hope, since we're moving to CA from AZ, that I dont have to have the case transfeered over to a CA court and then reopen it to haul them back in.
            Damm. Eat the loss and move on.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X