top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice on cash payments to roommate.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice on cash payments to roommate.

Newbie here. For some background: Partially unemployed for 2 yrs., same company I worked for since 2005. Total unemployment for last year and a half. Also, receiving Soc. Sec. For last 7 months. I'm pretty sure I qualify for legal aid BK assistance (New Jersey.) I've just started researching, accepting the inevitable and preparing myself. My only real asset is a car (paid for.) The debts I need to take care of are credit cards which all got behind during the "partial" time frame. All have been charged off and have passed through various coll. agencies.
    My question now is about my roommate situation. I have lived with a friend for about 10 years. Every 2 weeks I withdraw $200 from my unemployment direct dep. bank acct. funds. It's my contribution to house expenses, elec., gas, cable, water, etc. Bills are not really 'split,' My $200 is a general contribution. My roommate pays those bills. He owns his house. As far as food and other hsehld. stuff, we don't keep track of who buys what, we just feel it kind of works out.
    I am okay dealing with what comes my way, but I am concerned about how filing Chap.7 will effect him. I have not claimed rental homestead rebates on my tax returns, and there are no receipts or written mention of 'rental income' for him.
    Does anyone have advice on this? Thank you for your help and this forum.

Everyone needs a place to live. Your expenses are below even what's reasonable. I don't think you will have a problem but the pros will be along shortly.
    Welcome to the forum from a fellow Garden Stater.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

What's your health insurance situation?

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Thank you for your reply. I'm just concerned with making sure the roommate is insulated from information I have to divulge.
        Health insurance was good until May. Former emp. (architect) actually kept me on the plan for over a year hoping things would improve.

Comment

I don't think it's going to be a problem.
          Are you in a hurry to file? Some here would say wait til health ins situation resolves.
          What's your debt/income story?

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X