top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does trustee verify your bank account balances?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does trustee verify your bank account balances?

My attorney needs my bank statements for the past 6 months. Of course all I have is a set of saved pdf files. For July, the best I can do is login to my account and save an Excel file showing July's activity. Obviously, that's something that can be fudged. So how does the trustee verify your bank balances and check for preferential transfers? Do they subpoena the bank for statements?

I'm curious because I just closed a checking account to keep creditors from autodrafting. Now I'm wondering if that was a bad idea, because I'm scheduled to file ch7 in two days - and I probably won't have access to the account after today.

Thanks!
    MikeW
    Filed Ch7 - July 19, 2012
    Discharged and Closed - October 19, 2012

Print your .pdf files and you shouldn't have any problems. For July, download your account into a .xls document, bring your account up online and do a snapshot of your screen to match your .xls.

As to the trustee, it's just pretty easy for them to pick up the phone and make a call........
    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Originally posted by frogger View Post
      Print your .pdf files and you shouldn't have any problems. For July, download your account into a .xls document, bring your account up online and do a snapshot of your screen to match your .xls.
      That's a great idea. Thanks!

If you want to hear something funny. When I closed the account, the bank rep had my account up on her screen. She had to see the $25 draft for the online bankruptcy course I took. This is Chase Bank. I also have a decent sized balance due on my Chase Visa that will be discharged. I know she put two and two together. Long story short, I don't think she really closed the account. She said I would get a notice in the mail, but didn't print anything at the time to show that the account closed. Not only that, but I can still login to the account. Last time I closed an account, I was locked out right away. So something's fishy.

Is it common to include a checking account in the filing? I think I need to contact my attorney to add Chase Bank to the filing - just in case they try to pull something.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeW View Post

Is it common to include a checking account in the filing? I think I need to contact my attorney to add Chase Bank to the filing - just in case they try to pull something.
        It's not uncommon at all. Gets rid of the negative balance and all of those fees.
        All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
        Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Originally posted by frogger View Post
          It's not uncommon at all. Gets rid of the negative balance and all of those fees.
          Thanks Frogger!

Comment

That's a great idea. Thanks!

If you want to hear something funny. When I closed the account, the bank rep had my account up on her screen. She had to see the $25 draft for the online bankruptcy course I took. This is Chase Bank. I also have a decent sized balance due on my Chase Visa that will be discharged. I know she put two and two together. Long story short, I don't think she really closed the account. She said I would get a notice in the mail, but didn't print anything at the time to show that the account closed. Not only that, but I can still login to the account. Last time I closed an account, I was locked out right away. So something's fishy.

This exact same thing happened to me. I went into the bank to close my account on 6/30 and it's still open. I logged in the other day and saw a service charge on one of my accounts so I sent the paperwork to my attorney today to add to the discharge list. I'm not real sure what they are thinking, but it's not as if I'm going to give them any more at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by ksgirl38 View Post
              This exact same thing happened to me. I went into the bank to close my account on 6/30 and it's still open. I logged in the other day and saw a service charge on one of my accounts so I sent the paperwork to my attorney today to add to the discharge list. I'm not real sure what they are thinking, but it's not as if I'm going to give them any more at this point.
              One thing I've learned is that an account takes 30 days to officially close after your initial request to close. If anything posts to the account within that 30 day window, the account will re-open and the 30 day clock starts over. If an autodraft posts within the 30 days, it's up to the bank whether they want to let it through. On the one hand, they get to charge you a $35 overdraft fee. On the other hand, they might get burned on the autodraft if you end up filing ch7.

Comment

One thing I've learned is that an account takes 30 days to officially close after your initial request to close. If anything posts to the account within that 30 day window, the account will re-open and the 30 day clock starts over. If an autodraft posts within the 30 days, it's up to the bank whether they want to let it through. On the one hand, they get to charge you a $35 overdraft fee. On the other hand, they might get burned on the autodraft if you end up filing ch7.
                Yeah, but this was on a savings account that they charged me the fee.

Comment

A surefire way to get a Trustee the proper paperwork showing the balance the day you file is to walk in to your local branch and ask for a dated Verification of Deposit for that day. This is a formal snapshot of your account(s) on that date. Works for most Trustees. In fact, that is what a lot of Trustees order shortly after you file, as a VOD can verify balances for any date or range of dates.

Comment

Originally posted by btbeme View Post
                    A surefire way to get a Trustee the proper paperwork showing the balance the day you file is to walk in to your local branch and ask for a dated Verification of Deposit for that day. This is a formal snapshot of your account(s) on that date. Works for most Trustees. In fact, that is what a lot of Trustees order shortly after you file, as a VOD can verify balances for any date or range of dates.
                    Thanks btbeme!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X