top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why aren't my payments the same as an Ammortization calculator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why aren't my payments the same as an Ammortization calculator?

Here's the numbers I ran:

debt: 30K
    years to maturity: 16 (2029, actually almost 17)
    interest rate: 6.75 % locked

(these are the facts on my statement)

Monthly payments according to calculator: $255

Monthly payments I have been paying the last eight years, and now: $340

I was never late on this account, and I don't have any idea about extra charges or anything amounting to almost $100 a month, and the statement clearly lists fees under various categories which always say zero because I have never been late.

Why are my payments almost $100 more than they should be? Does Bank of America typically have reverse-balloons on their regular home loans? This is part of a HELOC that got converted to fixed rate installment, and I am pretty sure mine is a straightforward standard loan like they gave everyone (begged everyone to take!) with good credit and rising home value in 2004 and 2005. Can anyone point out something I am missing here?

Is there a possibility that they are doing anything fraudulent here and can that work in my favor?

thanks!

ps. this loan is actually discharged in ch7, but I continue to pay it as 2nd on my pay and stay house, which is underwater on 1st a little.

I wonder if there were fees built into the fixed rate installment loan, no doubt there were fees. Sorry I seem to be the only one awake at this time, but if you are dealing with Bank of America, there are always hidden costs.
    Have you tried to find a human at BoA you could talk to? I know the usual robot reps are not helpful.

Comment

yeah there could be hidden fees, but hidden fees of $85 that don't show up on the statement? Eight years of this hidden fee would be an $8,000 fee, and 25 years would be $25,000 "fee" on $35,000 borrowed, plus interest.

Can a fee be almost as much as the interest (or is it more-- not sure I have the math skills for that).

If this were the case then surely there would be an outcry-- but I can't even google up anyone with a similar complaint. I had great credit in a booming market when I took this loan, and certainly was not told of any fee and did not detect one. I did trust that it would be amortized correctly-- again assuming if they did this to lots of people there would be an outcry.

I am wondering if there is something obvious or common knowledge that I am missing here.

Comment

The payment amount seems high. From what you've posted I'm guessing the original terms were $35,000, 6.75%, 25 years? There would have been some sort of fee, I imagine such as charging you $37k for the $35k loan, or only giving you $33k with $35k owed.

This would be a good time to check your loan docs for details. BofA makes some of that available online. At least - mine shows. (And mine was not originally BOA.)
        ~Staci
        Not an attorney, and never played one on tv. My responses are based on my own experiences & personal opinions.)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X