Online Bill pay questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online Bill pay questions

My checking account is through the same bank that my mortgage and home equity line is through. I plan on keeping the house after bankruptcy and will continue to make payments. Currently my mortgage is through an ACH payment and they automatically take it out each month. Will this continue or will I need to make payments? Also will they still allow me to use their online banking system to view my accounts and pay other bills? This is currently how I pay the majority of my bills. Just wondering if I will still have access or if I need a plan to pay everything.

Personally, I would move the checking account to a different bank for fear of the funds being claimed against the mortgage.

Regarding the ACH payment, It most likely be suspended, and you will need to make the payment yourself. You will also most likely be locked out of the mortgage account, and depending on how tightly it is tied to your checking account, you might lose access to that too.

Comment

You need to move your checking and savings accounts away from the same institution that your house mortgage is with. The banks and credit unions have something called 'cross-collaterlization'. That is, if you are late or miss a mortgage payment, they can and will look for and nail any incoming deposit from a paycheck to satisfy that payment. They can also tap any payments made to an auto loan or credit cards.

Also, at the first notice of your 'Suggestion of Bankruptcy', (I mentioned that in one of your other threads) your bank or credit union--especially if it is a CU--will freeze your account(s), and you will have to move the accounts anyway, or prepare to talk long and earnestly with the facilities' BK department in order to remain in business with them.
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

We have the same issue as OP although we did move everything to another bank and the only money left in the old bank is enough to pay the mortgage for Aug payment which is a ACH payment. We filed Thursday and as today still have access although wondering if they will pull the payment as it is due the 15th (Wednesday) or should we pull it and put it in other bank and just write a check for the amount for the mortgage. Pam

Comment

Originally posted by pamkev View Post
          We have the same issue as OP although we did move everything to another bank and the only money left in the old bank is enough to pay the mortgage for Aug payment which is a ACH payment. We filed Thursday and as today still have access although wondering if they will pull the payment as it is due the 15th (Wednesday) or should we pull it and put it in other bank and just write a check for the amount for the mortgage. Pam
          They may not take a scheduled payment for fear of violating the automatic stay.
          Were I you, I'd write a check.

Comment

Originally posted by keepmine View Post
            They may not take a scheduled payment for fear of violating the automatic stay.
            Were I you, I'd write a check.

Okay thanks do you think I could write a check from the old bank to them or pull and write one from new bank.
            Last edited by pamkev; 08-14-2012, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pamkev View Post
              Okay thanks do you think I could write a check from the old bank to them or pull and write one from new bank.
              Why not just call your lender and explain that you've filed and ask if they'll process the currently scheduled ACH payment.
              If not, go ahead and write a check from whatever account you please.

Comment

We moved our accounts from Wells Fargo after finding out that they check every Thursday night to see who has filed for BK that week. I have heard that they do freeze accounts after business on Fridays, thus making it impossible for you to get your money through the weekend. Even though it is against the law they are known to be doing this. We opened up new accounts in a small bank before closing our other accounts at WF. This was all done before we filed.
                Plan Completed 10 months early 09/24/2014 Discharged 11/04/2014

Filed Ch 13 Aug. 2012 341 Meeting 09/12/2012 Confirmed 10/23/2012

Comment

Originally posted by keepmine View Post
                  Why not just call your lender and explain that you've filed and ask if they'll process the currently scheduled ACH payment.
                  If not, go ahead and write a check from whatever account you please.
                  Thanks that what I was getting ready to do. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Sammie View Post
                    We moved our accounts from Wells Fargo after finding out that they check every Thursday night to see who has filed for BK that week. I have heard that they do freeze accounts after business on Fridays, thus making it impossible for you to get your money through the weekend. Even though it is against the law they are known to be doing this. We opened up new accounts in a small bank before closing our other accounts at WF. This was all done before we filed.

Yes I heard Wells Fargo was famous for that

Comment

Thanks everyone. I went ahead and opened new checking and savings account at a smaller bank that we have no other ties to I also sent a request to PNC to stop my ACH payment and I will begin paying them directly through my new account. Once I have my new account info, I will set up my paycheck to direct deposit into the new account and I can say Bye Bye to the PNC accounts (except for my mortgage).

Do I need to be concerned about my utility bills? Will I still receive these bills once I file? I know I may not receive my car and mortgage bills but wasn't sure about the utilities.

Comment

Your utility is a service provider-not a creditor. You should continue to receive bills.

Comment

Update
                          I called the bank and talked to them they were like um not to sure what to do with this problem. They looked said you are current why did you file BK said not about them we are going to do a stay&pay. No clue what I was talking about they would go back to me. Never heard from them . I called back the lady I talked to left for the day and won't be back till next week. No one else knew what I was talking about.This is a small local bank.
                          Today got on line they took my mortgage payment out so all is good I hope.

Pam

Comment

Hi,

We are still receiving our monthly statements from Ally (car payment). I have been kinda surprised by that. We have been paying all our bills through "bill pay' from our checking account just as before without any problems.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by basketsbears View Post
                              Hi,

We are still receiving our monthly statements from Ally (car payment). I have been kinda surprised by that. We have been paying all our bills through "bill pay' from our checking account just as before without any problems.

Good luck!
                              That's great news

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X