Discharge question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discharge question

Alrighty, we have yet to receive any sort of paperwork or official discharge for our chapter 7 no-asset and our 60 days was up July 23rd. Although I'm concerned, we got verbal confirmation from our attorney that we *did* receive a discharge. My question is this: Is there any way to find out exactly what had been discharged, even though we have yet to receive any paperwork?

My reason for asking is this: I went over our finances with a fine-tooth comb before we filed and figured we had $265k in dischargeable debt. When we called our attorney, we were informed that nearly $330,000 was discharged! We didn't have that much debt *unless* you included our student loans, which between husband's private loans and my federal loan total around $60k. My student loans don't become "due" until December when my 6 month grace-period is up.

So this makes no sense to me...it's driving me crazy and I'd like to know exactly what/how much was discharged. It's nearly impossible to get student loans discharged so I'm thinking that maybe there was some sort of mistake, which is also why we haven't received anything "official" yet? Our attorney said we should see something in the mail no later than mid-September, but I didn't ask if that will include a breakdown of what was discharged. I'm just completely blown away that we had right around $65k in additional debt discharged, debt that I have NO IDEA where it came from.

Edit: This may or may not be relevant. My identity was stolen a few years back...could there be some sort of phantom "residual" debt floating around that I, for some reason, was not aware of? We had no medical bills in collections, I mean, we didn't really owe anyone money except for the credit cards, the house, the camper, and the student loans. That's it!
    Last edited by memama; 09-03-2012, 07:55 PM. Reason: Additional Details that may or may not be relevant.

If it looks like you should receive a discharge today, or any other day NEAR this date, get on your phone first thing in the morning and ask your attorney the status.

If you get no satisfaction with your attorney, call the clerk of your BK Court, and ask your case worker. Have your case number handy, because that determines who handles your case. Simply state that you have received no information from your attorney, and you need to ask a 'procedural question'. Ask if there is anything missing in your file, that you need to take care of. We were missing our Marriage License in our file....

I have posted multiple stories about that. Please feel free to search...
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X